Model Train Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
just curious about the values of lionel stuff. i go to alot of train shows and i see the stuff sitting on the tables but nobody really looking at it or buying it. are the values going up or down?
From what I have read online it seems to be values are going down. The reasons they say are sadly many of us that have big collections of trains are getting to the age...well the end of the line. As that happens in most cases they are sold off due to younger people not wanting any involvement in the hobby. Right now the guys that collected the older prewar and postwar stuff are the ones reaching the last stop of the line so the market is becoming saturated and driving prices down. That’s just based on what I’ve read. There are still people that think because it is old and says Lionel on it that makes it a big chunk of gold. The train shows tend to be a mix of reasonable people and the gold holders. There are very few pieces worth big money. Bottom line really is something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. The Greenberg price guide isn’t a bible but a pretty good starting point. Don’t forget condition is everything when placing value on trains. When I go to shows I try to check the sold items on eBay to see what stuff sold for (not current listings) then I have a rough idea of what I should spend.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have to agree with big ed looks to be in nice shape. Just add bushes or rocks around the base. Did you power it up? Hows it bubble?

Eds is nice too. I have the modren version. I think i had to modify the bubble tube on mine, or was that the big one. I can't remember. I really need to build a new layout!
just got around to it as it was boxed up. and put back in the box... im trying to keep minimal stuff out.

so bubbles worked great, light worked great; however, the piston didnt move but it then did once and randomly every couple of minutes... guess needs to be taken apart and serviced. No clue yet and wont till next house....

working on master bathroom that kicked my butt yesterday. got a quote for $1250... umm ill get back to it..

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,310 Posts
just got around to it as it was boxed up. and put back in the box... im trying to keep minimal stuff out.

so bubbles worked great, light worked great; however, the piston didnt move but it then did once and randomly every couple of minutes... guess needs to be taken apart and serviced. No clue yet and wont till next house....

working on master bathroom that kicked my butt yesterday. got a quote for $1250... umm ill get back to it..
There is an adjustment for the bubblier. It is finicky.
I use a heat gun to help it get going, once it gets going it stays going. It just needs help heating up. I don't like waiting.
My pump is the same way, you can look at it but I think all the old ones work that way. You don't want it rapping away like a woodpecker. It will drive you nuts. :)

·
Hobo for Life
5,953 Posts
Thats why i asked ed, i think i added tin foil on the bottem of mine to reflect the heat up to the bubble tube. And mine is the new one, or i added it to the older one. I cant remember!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thats why i asked ed, i think i added tin foil on the bottem of mine to reflect the heat up to the bubble tube. And mine is the new one, or i added it to the older one. I cant remember!
oh so they heat up like a lava lamp? it bubbles up fairly quick so i cancwait for it... since it will be in a blx longer 🤣

i do 99% of my own house work and unfortunately $1250 in a few hrs someone is installing my tub in master bath.

then ive got fix sheetrock.. spacke, paint, tile in shower, tile floor then cabinets when they get in.. then bit more and house up for sale.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts