Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
A few years ago I was told if I just painted over old painted lettering I would still be able to read the lettering through the new paint. Does that sound right? I also read a post about removing factory painted lettering from rolling stock. If I remember right someone said Dot 5 brake fluid would take the lettering off without harming the plastic car. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
First point....yes, you will still be able to see the lettering under a re-paint....

Second point....brake fluid will likely take the paint off, and soften the plastic car, do not do it....

Unless, of course, you test it on a crap car.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know Dot 5 won't do the same damage as Dot 3 but yeah maybe it will still melt plastic. I'm looking for a easy way to remove lettering without sanding tiny spaces on a HO car

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I've never done it, but I've read that you can soak in in 91% alcohol. Here are a few other ideas.

·
Admin
43,826 Posts
I was very successful in painting some cars a few years ago using a bead blaster to remove all the paint and lettering before painting. The only thing you have to do with plastic is keep the nozzle farther away for a more gentle action. I'm planning on another go when I get time, I have about 20 of the MTH Premier club boxcars that I bought for peanuts NIB. I would like to make a nice string of PRR boxcars from them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never done it, but I've read that you can soak in in 91% alcohol. Here are a few other ideas.
Thanks for the link. I started soaking one with the 91% alcohol this morning, we'll see how that goes

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Thanks for the link. I started soaking one with the 91% alcohol this morning, we'll see how that goes
Diesel Fuel;

If the paint is alcohol-based, and many factory paints are, then the soaking and scrubbing the model with an old toothbrush may work. I have had great success removing all the paint, and lettering, right down to bare plastic by using alcohol in a small ultrasonic cleaner.

Good Luck;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I tried cleaning up a hopper car in brake fluid once. It softened up the plastic so badly that I left fingerprints in the plastic just from picking it up out of the tray, and I had to handle it further in order to wash off the fluid. I've had good luck with 91% alcohol though, but it does take a bit of scrubbing with an old toothbrush.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Morning Guys
I have removed the lettering using 91% alcohol. At first I didn't think it would work but this morning I got a little more serious about leaving the car in a container of alcohol and all of a sudden it just scrubbed right off. Knowing what I do know I could probably clean one off in under 2 hours.Thanks for all the help and ideas.
A few pics

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've tried stripping entirely and removing paint with many methods and the best I can come up with is "it depends". Sometimes alcohol with a swab brings the lettering right off, sometimes the lettering and base paint comes off.

Sometimes very careful scraping with a scalpel (rounded) blade removes the lettering neatest.

Sometimes the only recourse is to strip or scrape to the plastic and then patch.

If stripping the whole care, sometimes Alcohol, sometimes Super Clean ( I use Purple Power). Sometimes nothing that is safe for plastic will work, though this is usually when the car has been painted and primed with aggressive enamels.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Now my question in all of this... Where are you finding 91% iso alcohol at?!? We finally started getting 70% back on the shelves again last month, but none of the stores have 91% in stock.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I used some spray cleaner I got at work to take lettering off of cars but it’s very expensive and can be hard on some plastics. I just painted a couple of heavyweights and you can’t really tell the factory lettering is still there. I used Vallejo paints with my air brush and the roof that’s painted black was I think krylon satin black these cars only have one coat of paint at the point this picture was taken with no dull coat yet. They’re athearn blue box cars

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now my question in all of this... Where are you finding 91% iso alcohol at?!? We finally started getting 70% back on the shelves again last month, but none of the stores have 91% in stock.
I didn't know that, I just happened to have a bottle because I use it as part of a record cleaning fluid I mix up. Guess I better keep an eye open for more

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Shdwdrgn;

You can order 99% alcohol from Amazon. My wife just received an order of it. It was expensive though. Also, you don't really need 91% to remove paint. The 70% should work.

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shdwdrgn;

You can order 99% alcohol from Amazon. My wife just received an order of it. It was expensive though. Also, you don't really need 91% to remove paint. The 70% should work.

Traction Fan 🙂
Will 70% work slower? I'm working on a second boxcar now that was Santa Fe red. The lettering came off easy but I'm having a tough time getting through the red. I wonder if 70% would not work as good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I realize now this thread should be titled stripping paint and lettering not repainting plastic cars

1 - 20 of 25 Posts