Model Train Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Will 70% work slower? I'm working on a second boxcar now that was Santa Fe red. The lettering came off easy but I'm having a tough time getting through the red. I wonder if 70% would not work as good.
Diesel Fuel;

Yes, 70% alcohol has 30% water diluting it, so it might not work as well. It may require longer soaking, and more scrubbing. A lot of factory paint is alcohol-based, but I don't think I've ever seen water-based paint used for a factory paint job.
So, the more alcohol, the stronger the dissolving action on the alcohol-based paint will be.
When I strip paint from a model, I use alcohol in a small ultrasonic cleaner. This works great with either 91% or 70% since the cleaner does high speed micro scrubbing. The model will typically be down to bare plastic in 20 min.
If no ultrasonic cleaner is available, a product called "soft scrub" helps get the paint off with less scrubbing. Soft scrub is a gentle substitute for household cleanser (Ajax, Comet, Etc.) It's usually in the household cleaners section of supermarkets, or Walmart.

Good Luck;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
369 Posts
I’ve used denatured alcohol to clean a couple painted parts for cars and it’s taken the paint off. I’m not sure if it would hurt it but I think it’s somewhat comparable to kerosene. They use it to light the old Coleman camp lanterns so it’s got to be relatively flammable so if you try it wear gloves. Not certain if it will effect plastic so if you use it I would try it in a spot not visible like inside the shell.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Denatured alcohol is just moonshine (PGA) with stuff added to make it unfit for consumption - usually methanol. I've had some success removing paint with it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts