Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a wiring diagram or motor parts list for a 2466W tender?

Mine is dead and I'm trying to rebuild the motor. I took it apart and noticed the brushes appear to be worn down or of a different type than standard Lionel motor brushes. What is the part number for the whistle motor brushes on the 2466?

I am attempting to verify the wiring but I cannot find a picture that clearly shows the wires on the 2466. The illustration in the Greenberg book is not very clear.

Thanks in advance... AR.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately. That drawing does not show the actual wiring just the schematic. Here are some photos of the wiring inside my tender. Does it look correct?

Attachments

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
I think it looks right, I don't have that tender though it looks similar to the thread I started about a 2689w tender( at least on the inside). . I have some pic there. Maybe that can help? The only difference is yours looks to have 2 pick up rollers. There should be a wire attached to the left brush, I can't see if there is one there from the pic or not.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the big pics. How do I limit the size?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You need a wire from the pickup rollers to the terminal on the coil that is hidden behind the gray wires. You don't have any power to the coil. Not likely it will work without electrons.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the lower brush wire is there. With power to the motor all I hear is a faint buzz. Nothing else happens. I guess the next step is an ohmmeter to make sure the connections are good. What type of brushes does the motor use? My regular motor brushes are too large for the slots.

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
Ok, all the wires are connected, so when powered, you manually push up on the ( I don't know the correct name) whistle activator plate( the toggle switch on the bottom right) , and it just buzzes? Mabey the plate needed to be cleaned or ( as per my other thread that these guys helped me with) maybe one of the wire connections on the brush plate is loose, if it touches the metal box that holds the armature, it will cause a short. This was the problem with mine. I don't know the brush info, sorry.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bypassed the plate and relay by connecting my transformer ends directly to the top brush connection which is wired to the center rail roller, and the inside switch connection that goes directly to the motor field. When I energized the transformer the motor should run and nothing happens except a faint buzz like there is a bad connection.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took out my meter and found no open connections. Everything was as is should be, at least electrically. I found smaller brushes that fit the brush plate and put everything back together and the motor runs now.

Now the problem I'm having is the motor is noisy. It's making a friction noise as it spins. I added a drop of lube on both ends of the commutator and that has made a slight difference but it still sounds like its vibrating as it spins. Any ideas? Is the brush plate worn out?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Use heavier oil and maybe more of it. The bearing opposite the brush plate usually does not get lubed and so needs more than a single drop of oil.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Lube bearing points (top, bottom), as noted.

Make sure there's not gunk inside the impeller chamber.

Take a close look at your brushes. I often file a very small chamfer around the perimeter of the brush face ... it helps to soften the "impact" as the segments of the commutator come into contact (while spinning) with the brush face edge. That might quite things a bit.

TJ

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I added a drop of Gunk Super Oil to the impeller bearing and that has done the trick. Thanks everyone.

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
Glad it's back up and running. I'll have to try that oil as some of my tenders are a little squeaky also. I just thought that's the way they ran, I did oil the back bearing but it seems I need more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts