Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum. I recently received two old Santa Fe f units that don’t work anymore. There is a wire out of place on one and the other looks normal. I know almost nothing about the motors or inner workings of these locomotives yet but is anyone able to provide a diagnosis on them just by the photos? I sort of want to turn them into dummy units for a passenger excursion train I’d like to run. The tutorial I found seems quite simple.
Train Rolling stock Motor vehicle Track Mode of transport
Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Electronic device Cable
Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Computer hardware

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
That heavy bachmann (with the stray green wire) is worth some time to restore. It has 8 wheel pickup and, 8 wheel drive. Weighs nearly a pound. Its pulls like a champ.
Around 45 years ago, mine pulled more than 30 cheap cars on a flat oval on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I still have it, it still pulls. The only Bachmann I ever owned back then that I liked, and that lasted.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Ok while I try to find that, what is going on with the wheels here? It seems to be sliding off a plastic rim. View attachment 586786
A dab of glue will cure that. Or, You can get a replacement wheel set. I can help with that.
Other than the green wires for the light, there is no other wiring in that Loco. Its all plates and tabs and springs so, unless a tab is missing, broken or miss aligned all connectivity is in place. Remove the four top plate screws and, those two chrome pins above the trucks and all will be revealed inside.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: I have turned the pancake motor loco into a dummy and stuck the shell of the other one onto it since it looks better. Thanks for the offer of new axles Kilowatt62 but they are not necessary, the dummy runs great so far. Once I get the chance I will make a trip to get a shell for an old Amtrak locomotive I got from a hobby store as a “thank you” gift. I hope it fits on the other one and I hope I can get that one running again. Although turning the pancake loco into a dummy was the hardest thing I’ve done so far with any kind of loco or rolling stock I’ve ever had. One down, one to go. Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
13,697 Posts
I think I do,but they shouldn’t ”run” any better or worse than a standard boxcar, or any other piece of rolling stock….the dummy just get dragged along by the powered locomotive….

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I do,but they shouldn’t ”run” any better or worse than a standard boxcar, or any other piece of rolling stock….the dummy just get dragged along by the powered locomotive….
Yeah that’s what I meant, does anyone know where this wire is supposed to hook up to?! I found an old Amtrak F unit shell that can go on it, I just want it to be able to pull again. I emailed Bachmann and of course they didn’t respond
Train Rolling stock Wheel Track Railway

·
Premium Member
13,697 Posts
They probably aren’t interested in replacing trains that are older than they are, and they don’t have parts for anymore….

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The “flying green wire” goes to the light, just like the other one. Need both to complete the circuit, if it can be re-attached that is. Otherwise, a new bulb is in order...
So when I touch the wire to the light, it turns on but the locomotive makes no attempt to budge. What else is wrong? Is it possible to remove both and just have no lights? Plus it only takes a few second for the light to become piping hot so that’s kind of a fire hazard with all the foam, plastic, wood, and dry carpet all within a foot

1 - 20 of 31 Posts