Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere in this section is a “what do I have here?” Thread. This thread is about freeing and fixing my little cast iron engine with what I think is pot metal. By getting out a magnifying glass and googling I see that I have a 1952 Fleischmann 1320 BR 80. It is DC 12V.
The wheels barely turn, and when current was supplied at the Whistle Stop train store. Nothing happened. I’m of the nothing ventured nothing gained school, so I’ll be taking it apart to clean it out with 90 isopropyl.
If anyone has any info on motor disassembly and proper lube points with synthetic, I’d like to talk to you.
Please ask me for any pictures to clarify the open loop problem where the train isn’t taking current.
I did find that the forward axle Had the cooper contact off and not in position to bring current to the motor. However the two other axels were fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In looking at other models of this train, I see that they have a different under age, and their are pickups, conduit I don’t have. It’s the V shaped silver thing.
5047F0E8-BE3C-4218-9130-55D902AACEF1.png
5047F0E8-BE3C-4218-9130-55D902AACEF1.png

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I don't know anything about early Fleischmann steam, but there are many members here that do; Railways of Germany is a German railroad and German model railroad forum.

There are many experienced modelers there that that can help you with your locomotive.

English is the required language and the Germans speak English better than most natives.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I’m pending approval.

What can I use to clean the engine and running gear? I have the car disassembled. I’m thinking WD 40 isn’t a good idea.

isopropyl 90 alcohol isn’t available.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
WD-40 is a terrible idea. Keep that stuff as far away from model railroading equipment as possible.

To clean the running gear, any degreaser that will not attack plastic components is fine. I use CLP to clean, but do not lube with it as over time it will dry out. Use a light oil such as 3-in1 oil, Remington Gun Oil, or sewing machine oil.

I very good degreaser is Purple Power on a synthetic Q-tip that will not leave stray fuzz or fibers in the mechanism. I used to use these to clean 2, 8, and 16 track tape heads. Excellent scrubbing action without the leftovers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts