Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - what's a recommended or the best DCC decoder (and speaker) replacement for a Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern? Looking for optimal performance and realistic sound.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I am going to assume this is HO scale and also that the decoder was factory installed. If so, the decoder is a "sound value" made by Soundtraxx to Bachmann specifications. I have a few and they seem alright but are lacking quite a few features. The decoder/speaker are located in the tender and hopefully a plug and play system. The Econami by Soundtraxx is a reasonable price or the top of the line one would be better still. I have no experience with the other makes, Wow, Lenz, etc. I would stay away from MRC and Digitrax though. For a speaker, get the largest that will fit. Maybe try a different speaker to start with the Sound Value decoder and see if that is acceptable. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decided.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply Bwells. Yes, it's an HO scale 4-8-4 Northern. I have captured pictures of the decoder in this forum from the stages of me applying details and new paint. https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=24329

It's the manufacturer DCC decoder (most likely SoundTraxx) that came with the new drive train I purchased from Bachmann to replace from the original 3-pole motor and chassis back in the early 90's for my 4-8-4. However, the decoder was not equipped with sound. After years I have accepted for what it is and, now I want to upgrade it to a better decoder + sound.

I visited SoundTraxx's site. Looks like I'm geared towards to either the TSU-750 Micro-Tsunami (because of the oil tender's awkward cylindrical size, this may work) or the TSU-1000.

Curious to know if you know if ESU Loki decoder are good?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I was close on my assumptions. If the decoder is a Bachmann non sound it is not made by Soundtraxx and is a Bachmann produced decoder. They rank in the lower level of quality and adjusting the CV's can be harder than picking cotton candy off your balls. I have no experience with the Loksound decoders but have heard good things about them. By the way, nice work on your rebuild thread. Not sure how I missed it.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
If you want the best sound ESU is hard to beat. Functions for the decoder programming are practically unlimited too.

Loksound V4.0, and Loksound V5.0 is now available.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan to do this myself. How difficult is it to swap the Bachmann decoder for a SoundTraxx Tsunami? Does SoundTraxx provide good wiring instructions - or will I have to research on the net?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts