Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am desperately trying to locate replacement. Doors for 40’ Bachmann freight cars. I have looked on eBay and Bachmann is shut down.. Anyone out there refer me to a source?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Tichy Train Group and Details West both make a number of detailing parts and may have something. Kadee Quality Products also sells doors. Or you could make one yourself out of styrene. I assume you're looking for a boxcar door (there are dozens of kinds of freight cars, and many of them do not have doors). You'll also need to know what KIND of door -- different types of boxcars had different doors. The hardest part is going to be matching the paint color.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Does color matter to you? Does it have to open?

If the answer to both of those is no, then I've probably got something that will work. PM me dimensions and maybe a pic of what you need and if be happy to send one over.

I'm not particularly fussed about door color as there are lots of boxcars that have been repaired with replaced doors with mismatched colors and door styles. I do generally like for my replacement doors to be of a similar or feasibly later style though.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Pics might help, as many box car doors have different claws that hold them in place, and I suspect you would want it to match the existing door.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tichy Train Group and Details West both make a number of detailing parts and may have something. Kadee Quality Products also sells doors. Or you could make one yourself out of styrene. I assume you're looking for a boxcar door (there are dozens of kinds of freight cars, and many of them do not have doors). You'll also need to know what KIND of door -- different types of boxcars had different doors. The hardest part is going to be matching the pai
2963F34E-F970-466D-9158-2C2A7C483071.jpeg
nt color.

·
Registered
630 Posts
None of my doors are are yellow. If you want an exact match I can't help.

If you want something that will fit in that space (should slide even) send me a PM with either the height of the door itself or the height of the opening and I'll go digging.

Two other options:
1)Your cheapest source for an exact match is probably ebay. For the cost of what Bachmann would likely charge you for shipping, you can buy the whole thing including shipping:
The one caution is that over the decades that this box was made, the exact shade of yellow may vary a bit.

2) If you're willing to wait until Covid passes and you have access to a good train show, there's a very good chance you can buy that same car for 3 bucks or less. It's a common scheme of a common car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If you want something that will fit in that space (should slide even) send me a PM with either the height of the door itself or the height of the opening and I'll go digging.

Two other options:
1)Your cheapest source for an exact match is probably ebay. For the cost of what Bachmann would likely charge you for shipping, you can buy the whole thing including shipping:
The one caution is that over the decades that this box was made, the exact shade of yellow may vary a bit.

2) If you're willing to wait until Covid passes and you have access to a good train show, there's a very good chance you can buy that same car for 3 bucks or less. It's a common scheme of a common car.

Two other options:

Nothing but time here in Ormond Beach FL Sending additional pix. Rails are 1 and 3/4 in. Actual opening is 13/16 x 1 and 1/4. Need both doors.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts