Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, purchased a used Atlas Classic Line RS-1 and would like to replace the motor. I checked Atlas and they do not have any. Would anyone know where I can purchase a new motor? Preferably something better then the original if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Brooklyn Locomotive Works and M.B. Klein (model train stuff) frequently sell parts like what you're looking for. You'd probably need a 5-pole skewed motor to replace the one in your Atlas locomotive. Typically motors of various speeds are available for switching, main line, and passenger locomotive to approximate prototypical speeds.

Hope this helps.

TimW

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ebay seller sooo-much-stuff has parts. Any new Atlas motor will work, you just need to change the flywheels. I use the Atlas scale speed motor and have replaced 30+ of my Kato locos crappy high speed motors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen for your responses. The 5 pole was what I was thinking as well. I will check both places as you all suggested. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Motor and gear source

Hi, purchased a used Atlas Classic Line RS-1 and would like to replace the motor. I checked Atlas and they do not have any. Would anyone know where I can purchase a new motor? Preferably something better then the original if possible. Thanks.
prunknscale;

I suspect your Atlas RS-1 may actually have been made by Kato.
Many diesels, sold under the Atlas brand name, are really Kato locomotives. Check the bottom of the frame. You may find "Kato" embossed there. If you do, you could contact Kato and see if they have a motor for the RS-1. Another good source for high quality motors and gears is Northwest Short Line. www.nwsl.com

good luck;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Atlas Classic Line RS-1 if the loco is in the correct box is probably a China made loco. Your can check very easy, the old Kato made doesn't have frame to truck contact strips were the China made one does. Atlas used three different motors starting with High speed motor, slow speed motor and the latest motor is the scale speed motor. They are all 5 pole motors and will work, the only difference is the flywheels and motor contacts. These can be changed fairly easy.
Atlas only use Kato to manufacture there locos a short time from the early 1980s to mid 1990s. Most Atlas locos are China made!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts