Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
11,798 Posts
To be cost effective a new flat bed is just over 20 on ebay. Backmann has two axle trucks for 16 plus shipping. You need 6 matching axles. Find an inexpensive lot somewhere on pieces that have axles. A yard sale find would do it. If find a set at least you will get an engine and extra transformer. Train show might have a parts guy and certainly used stock. Just some ideas. Locally you have on line marketplaces too. Ebay has generic wheel axel sets for 12. Best deal with extra for future finds.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I replaced the wheel sets on mine with Proto 2000 33” metal wheel sets. They make all the difference on that model. I also swapped couplers to kadee couplers either #5 or #148 I can’t remember off the top of my head. When I replace wheel sets I also do a truck tune to help with rolling performance. That being said about any 33” wheel should suffice plastic or metal for your application I just prefer metal wheels

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If a new flatbed is only $20 then that may be the better choice. I'm not going to invest too much in this HO set as it was initially thought to be a N scale set. I goofed up on ebay. LOL! But now I have it and should be a good set once I get all the parts working. I did however get a huge amount of track with that auction!

·
Registered
German, Swiss, and Austrian outline. HO/HOm
6,566 Posts
Or just purchase wagens that come with metal wheels out of the box. It would seem the easiest way.

In addition, if the model railroading world knows how good these Kadee couplers are, why don't they contract with manufacturer to supply them on OEM models?

·
Premium Member
13,356 Posts
They do, many companies In fact….Intermountain, Tangent, ExactRail, Kadee (of course), Rapido (they use Kadee as well as their own McDonald Cartier coupler), Walthers Proto, Walthers Mainline, Bowser....

Now if only the other big players would….Athearn, Atlas and Bachmann would…..

·
Premium Member
13,356 Posts
I think they are trying to keep their offerings at a certain price point, and providing Kadee’s would put that over the target….

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That car would take 36” wheels. Bachmann makes nice insulated metal wheel & axle sets. I think 3 or 4 cars worth for about $18.

As mentioned, you get similar heavy duty flats for a few dollars more. Question is, will they have X2F couplers or Kadee? Do you plan on changing them? Do you have other cars that need 36” dia wheels or just this one? It’s important in order to have proper coupler height.

I believe anything with a CAPY rating over 140,000 (70 ton) uses 36”. Though it could be 200,000 (100 ton). I’m assuming cars at 90 ton need 36”, not 33”. Corrections/clarification on that 70-100 range by others are welcome.

·
Premium Member
13,356 Posts
I have found that Bachmann metal wheelsets are more expensive than the equivalent Tangent, Intermountain or Rapido metal wheel sets….

Tangent - $9.95
Product Circuit component Font Poster Engineering

Rapido - $12.00
Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory Audio equipment

Intermountain - $10.95
Auto part Font Rectangle Machine Cylinder

Bachmann -$21.23
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Circle

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I think they are trying to keep their offerings at a certain price point, and providing Kadee’s would put that over the target….
This. That's generally why companies use lower quality parts -- to keep costs down. It's not that Kadee wouldn't sell them the couplers, but that those companies aren't interested in using them.

·
Premium Member
13,356 Posts
Which I find strange…..sure, the car costs a little less, but they end up getting Kadees anyway (at least mine do), so the total cost may even be higher (car plus customer supplied Kadee’s) than if the manufacturer supplied them….

And they gotta know that most people prefer Kadees, that is, if they are paying attention…. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I brought up the Bachmann set because the car was a Bachmann and it's been my experience that some trucks have longer or shorter axles so matching manufacturer makes a good fit more likely. It probably won't matter with relatively new trucks.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yeah I guess shop around. I used Bachmann as a suggestion because my lhs stocks them. And at $18, not $22, as they compete with online prices to stay relevant.
Plastic axles are an option too of course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts