Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an American Flyer 322 engine and tender in very nice shape except for the crossbar beneath the cab that has been repaired. It appears the small round threaded shoulder that was press-fitted into the square hole in the crossbar had come off and lost. Someone had fixed it by soldering a small threaded strap to the bar. Checking Dave Pikes parts it appears the crossbar with the threaded shoulder can be replaced, or I could buy the part used. My question is has anyone replaced the bar? I am not happy with the appearance of the soldering work.

The bar is held to the engine by cast posts on each end that appears to have been struck expanding the post as a rivet to hold the bar in place. I have read some have used JB weld to secure the bar when it has loosened or some have removed the post drilling and tapping the shoulder to install a screw to hold the bar in place. Is there a way to remove the bar from the posts and re-strike the posts? I'm sure this will leave working marks in the post area that could probably be touched up to attempt to restore the integrity of the engine.

Thanks,

Old smokey 47

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
No help here. I have never replaced the crossbar. i do have a 312 with the center nut missing.
Not sure how I will repair it. Probably JB Weld a nut in place.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The bar probably would have been pressed on when the shell was still warm from the mould to avoid cracking when originally installed. Cold cast metal does not react well to stress. I have used a Dremel type tool with a cutoff wheel or a fine jewelers saw (if space is limited) to remove the pressed portion of the stud above the bar or other such mount and wiggle it off. To re-install on the remaining portion of the studs I use J.B. Weld or similar product. Personally, I would purchase a replacement bar with the correct drawbar mount. There are probably other solutions but this is what has worked for me. Barry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mopac,

Your idea probably a better alternative than soldering a piece of steel on the top of the bar as they did in my case. The problem with attaching only a thin nut is the longer underside shoulder is missing which allowed the drawbar to attach at a lower position keeping it level. Unless someone comes up with a better suggestion I'm considering using a piece of either 5/16" of 3/8" diameter solid rod, drilling out the center, threading it to the threads of the screw, and cutting it to the length of the original shoulder while using JB weld to secure it to the bottom of the crossbar. I believe I can easily remove and clean up the existing solder. If it holds securely without an excess of JB I think it will look as original without drawing attention.

I have to believe this issue has come up previously even though I could not find anything in the archives.

Old smokey

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barry,
Good thought, I suspect carefully removing the protruding stud above the bar will allow the removal of the damaged bar and allow gently tapping a new bar onto the small portion of the remaining stud. Using a small amount of JB weld on the underside should hopefully hold the bar in place since the pulling force is perpendicular to the vertical stud without an apparent repair.
Thanks,
Smokey

·
Registered
170 Posts
No help here. It is crazy seeing some of the oddball hardware & fixes done to these engines etc. My 307 came with a drywall screw in it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
God help me! Just before the seller sent it he discovered the work on the bar and emailed me asking if I wanted to continue to buy it, I respected him and said I'll accept it as it is.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Had the same problem with my 322 the middle stud fell so i have some strong glues at work and its been 2 years. I did have another engine were i bought another draw bar drill and used a 4-40 tap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alaft61ri,
Can you elaborate...did you use epoxy to secure the middle stud to the bar? I have some Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy that is extremely strong and bonds well to metals. By the way, did you buy the crossbar new or did you buy it used on E bay? If the earlier, can you advise your source and part number?
Thanks much,
Smokey

·
Registered
372 Posts
Alaft61ri,
Can you elaborate...did you use epoxy to secure the middle stud to the bar? I have some Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy that is extremely strong and bonds well to metals. By the way, did you buy the crossbar new or did you buy it used on E bay? If the earlier, can you advise your source and part number?
Thanks much,
Smokey
Here is the glue i used loctite 411 clear instant adhesive. I let u know on the other.

Al
Alaft61ri,
Thanks much,
Smokey
Item 383497035670 seller on e bay / this is the seller TennTom22 . it was used

·
Registered
372 Posts
Alaft61ri,
Thanks much,
Smokey
There is anotherone on e bay with bar nut and pins sellers is littlesteamers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts