Model Train Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
pygmalion wrote:
"Many are switchers, but a few are "real" locomotives. So 65kmh/40mph is fine for all of them?"

Old switchers like the S2 and SW1 had top speeds in the range of 30mph or so.
40mph tops. They had small wheels and low gearing, speeds faster than that would damage the motors and running gear. There were speed restrictions when these type of units were included in a "road consist".

All the others (GPs RS's, Century's) would have maximum speeds of 65-70mph.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Your depth of analysis far exceeds my grasp. I shall say that the crawl on your revamped locomotive is astonishing, but I did not get to see it function at intermediate speeds, if it could run a touch slower, I'd personally like that. Speaking of personal preferences, WOT? NO CABOOSE?

·
Registered
732 Posts
My layout is 10x16 feet. As far as turns go the smallest radius curve I have is about 60 inches other than on a turnout.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have finalized the motor replacement. Since nothing is perfect, the effective speed goes from impressive 1kmh/1mph up to less than impressive 65kmh/40mph.

I must now decide whether to proceed with motor replacement for all remaining locomotives. What is your opinion? Is that speed span acceptable? Seeing video of the updated locomotive might be helpful:

Thanks for sharing this. I have a couple mitsumi's and a couple old locos I'm considering dropping them in and your results are very encouraging.
Much Appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Your depth of analysis far exceeds my grasp. I shall say that the crawl on your revamped locomotive is astonishing, but I did not get to see it function at intermediate speeds, if it could run a touch slower, I'd personally like that. Speaking of personal preferences, WOT? NO CABOOSE?
Of course it can go slower, I was just showing top and bottom speeds.

I guess this is fine for switchers, but for road switchers it would be better if both top and bottom speeds are 50% larger. At least from the real locomotive perspective. But it is impossible to get a motor of this size with double shaft that has RPM between 4000 and 10000 (ideal is 6000).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for sharing this. I have a couple mitsumi's and a couple old locos I'm considering dropping them in and your results are very encouraging.
Much Appreciated.
I am glad my effort was of help to someone.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts