Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a neat ,quick way to put athearn or similar trucks on above cars. drill existing hole in body to 5/32" or 11/64". push insert in, if sloppy add a touch of epoxy. the fillister head of the 4-40 screw fits inside the truck body. sometimes i grind the thickness of the brass flg. off of the plastic boss on the car after drilling the hole. coupler height is pretty close. Mcmaster Carr ships same day if you call by 12:00 noon. got enough to do 25 cars by ordering 1 pack ea

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
Good ! But are you now going to add body mounted couplers ? If so, I'd do that first, after talgo removal.
Also, how are the wheels on these ? If early deep flanged they will hit the simulated spike heads on Code 83 or lower commercial track..They seem to be OK from pic.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
50 inserts- $11or12 100 fillister head screws $6or7 :bought these about 6 mo. ago, think it was+-$25 with shipping

·
Registered
871 Posts
And be cautious with passenger cars or any car with a truck set in further from the end than a std freight car. I think Vette-kid had an issue with this. If the end of the car swings out too much the body-mounted coupler has poor geometry...just sayin'...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts