Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am new to MRC Advange control for layout. Normally the loco has address #3, I can change it to another address to facilitate the operation of the loco and have changed OK. However, I did the same thing today, but after changing, both the address #3 and the new address didn't work. So how can I reset the address of loco to #3 or change it to another address?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
Presuming you mean MRC Advance... or MRC Advance2, because if it's the former, you have a very old controller.

Have you ever programmed that loco before? Is it new or used? What kind of decoder is in it? Are you using a programming track? Are you able to program other CVs on that loco? What number are you trying to set the address to? Setting CV8 to a value of 8 will normally reset everything to factory defaults, including the address. All else being equal, though, I would suspect a bad decoder,

Reactions: Irkutsker

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Presuming you mean MRC Advance... or MRC Advance2, because if it's the former, you have a very old controller.

Have you ever programmed that loco before? Is it new or used? What kind of decoder is in it? Are you using a programming track? Are you able to program other CVs on that loco? What number are you trying to set the address to? Setting CV8 to a value of 8 will normally reset everything to factory defaults, including the address. All else being equal, though, I would suspect a bad decoder,
My controller is the MRC Prodigic Advance 2. It's been used but since I bought it on Ebay until now it's still in good condition, no problems. I'm new to use, mainly use the main functions: run loco on layout, use basic functions of sound and light; re-address the loco accordingly, consist of locos of the same type... I have never interfered with the CVs of the decoders because I don't have much experience. Yesterday I used it to reset the address of 2 Roco locomotives (steam and electric) because by default it used the address #3.Previously I used it to change the addresses of locos such as : Athern Genesiss, Bachmann, Walther, BLI, Trix, Roco ... all normal. I don't understand why the change of address can't be done, although after that I still use MRC to control other locos normally, except for the address change as above.

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
My controller is the MRC Prodigic Advance 2. It's been used but since I bought it on Ebay until now it's still in good condition, no problems. I'm new to use, mainly use the main functions: run loco on layout, use basic functions of sound and light; re-address the loco accordingly, consist of locos of the same type... I have never interfered with the CVs of the decoders because I don't have much experience. Yesterday I used it to reset the address of 2 Roco locomotives (steam and electric) because by default it used the address #3.Previously I used it to change the addresses of locos such as : Athern Genesiss, Bachmann, Walther, BLI, Trix, Roco ... all normal. I don't understand why the change of address can't be done, although after that I still use MRC to control other locos normally, except for the address change as above.
I hope we're dealing with a language barrier here, because you didn't answer 99% of the questions you need to. The problem is almost certainly NOT in the MRC, but in the decoders. Please answer the questions I asked in post #2 with respect to the locomotive(s) you're having difficulty programming.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My Prodigy Advance MRC controller is a used device and I bought it on Ebay. I've been using it since I received it

Have you ever programmed that loco before?
When using MRC, in addition to the usual use to control loco on the layout, I also use it to change the address of the loco from the default value #3 to the value according to the loco number (8152, 111, 4041...)

Is it new or used? What kind of decoder is in it?
The locos that I change address with MRC are both new and used. basically all work properly after the address change
The decodes in the loco that I change the address are very diverse because I have many locos of the production: Athern, BLI, Bachmann, Roco, Trix ...

Are you using a programming track? Are you able to program other CVs on that loco? What number are you trying to set the address to?

I've never programmed my CV on locos because I'm really not good at this. Recently I tried to change the address of 2 locos produced by Roco and Trix from the default value #3 to the new address #420 and #991 the same way I did before. But after changing both the address #3 and #420 or #991 both are unusable

Setting CV8 to a value of 8 will normally reset everything to factory defaults, including the address. All else being equal, though, I would suspect a bad decoder,

I will try to programmatically change the value of CV8 to 8 as per your advice
Many Thanks

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
OK, so if I'm understanding you correctly, you have two locos that you are trying to change the address to #420 and #991. While you have changed the addresses of OTHER locos, you haven't been able to change these two. Are they used or new? I ask this because if they're used, the address probably isn't 3, so that's why you can't program them. Setting CV 8 to 8 will fix that.

A decoder must be set properly to use an address of over 2 digits. MOST decoders come preset for that; some don't, especially older ones. You'll have to figure out which setting that is (most likely CV29) and make sure. Read back the value on that CV to make sure.

Do the Roco & Trix locos work at all? I'm pretty sure both companies make AC as well as DCC ones. Trains designed for AC operation (3 rail) aren't going to work on DCC. If they're DCC, are they equipped with sound and keep alive capacitors? If so, you may not have enough voltage on your programming track to program them, so try pulling all other locos off of your layout and programming them on the Main.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so if I'm understanding you correctly, you have two locos that you are trying to change the address to #420 and #991. While you have changed the addresses of OTHER locos, you haven't been able to change these two. Are they used or new? I ask this because if they're used, the address probably isn't 3, so that's why you can't program them. Setting CV 8 to 8 will fix that.

A decoder must be set properly to use an address of over 2 digits. MOST decoders come preset for that; some don't, especially older ones. You'll have to figure out which setting that is (most likely CV29) and make sure. Read back the value on that CV to make sure.

Do the Roco & Trix locos work at all? I'm pretty sure both companies make AC as well as DCC ones. Trains designed for AC operation (3 rail) aren't going to work on DCC. If they're DCC, are they equipped with sound and keep alive capacitors? If so, you may not have enough voltage on your programming track to program them, so try pulling all other locos off of your layout and programming them on the Main.
Thanks you
My two locos are brand new, DCC with sound. I've used them with MRC at default address #3 and it's OK. Now I want to change their address to avoid confusion when using. This I did the same with other locos. Since I don't have much experience in using MRC, I want to use the function of MRC to read back the existing parameters of these two loco, including its address. If not, I will change CV8 to 8 as you have shown.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CTValleyRR: Can you help explain: I have many loco, both new and old. The new loco can be looked up on the company's website and know the decoder model. But there are many used locos (still working well) but the decode model is unknown. So how to know if the decoder supports 2-digit or 4-digit address?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Isn't the requirement of NMRA standards that all decoders must
support either 2 digit or 4 digit addresses?

Could it be that the OP is trying to change his
loco's address to 3 digit numbers, 420 and 991. The
decoder is not programmed to accept 3 digit numbers.
I wonder...would a decoder accept 0420 and 0991?

Don

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't the requirement of NMRA standards that all decoders must
support either 2 digit or 4 digit addresses?

Could it be that the OP is trying to change his
loco's address to 3 digit numbers, 420 and 991. The
decoder is not programmed to accept 3 digit numbers.
I wonder...would a decoder accept 0420 and 0991?

Don
From MRC's email: There are two types of addresses: 2-digit and 4-digit. A 2-digit address is an address between numbers 1-127. A 4-digit address is an address between numbers 128-9999

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
CV's 7, 8, 107 and 108 will contain values that help you identify what decoder it is. You will have to look up what the values mean on the internet. Instructions for reading the decoder values begin on page 10 of the instruction manual. CV29 should be set to a value of 34 to use 4 digit addresses (assuming you have made no other changes to that CV's value).

If the locos respond normally to the address of 3, then there is probably nothing wrong with them. Try two things: First, as Don suggested, try adding the leading zero to the 3 digit addresses that you are trying to program (so 0420 and 0991). Despite MRC's e-mail (which agrees with the instruction manual), my experience is that if the decoder is set to use 4 digit addresses, you need to enter all 4 digits, even if one is a zero. If that doesn't work, try programming on the main rather than a programming track (remove ALL locos from the track except the one you are programming. If programming on the main works and the program track does not, then it is likely that the programming track voltage is insufficient and you need a booster.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CV's 7, 8, 107 and 108 will contain values that help you identify what decoder it is. You will have to look up what the values mean on the internet. Instructions for reading the decoder values begin on page 10 of the instruction manual. CV29 should be set to a value of 34 to use 4 digit addresses (assuming you have made no other changes to that CV's value).

If the locos respond normally to the address of 3, then there is probably nothing wrong with them. Try two things: First, as Don suggested, try adding the leading zero to the 3 digit addresses that you are trying to program (so 0420 and 0991). Despite MRC's e-mail (which agrees with the instruction manual), my experience is that if the decoder is set to use 4 digit addresses, you need to enter all 4 digits, even if one is a zero. If that doesn't work, try programming on the main rather than a programming track (remove ALL locos from the track except the one you are programming. If programming on the main works and the program track does not, then it is likely that the programming track voltage is insufficient and you need a booster.
Currently when entering the addresses of the loco (eg those loco have the address #3, #120 or #8519) I only enter the correct numbers (3,120) without adding the zero before #0003 or #003. And it still works fine. The same goes for new addresses: #120, not #0120

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
I'm not arguing with you. Try it my way. Unless you have actually tried it with those exact locos, containing the decoders programmed as they are, then you have no basis decide whether it works or not. The absolute worst mistake anyone can make when troubleshooting is to extrapolate: to assume that something must be true in this case because it is true in others.

If that doesn't work, test programming on the main, as I have suggested,

If that doesn't work, then replace the decoders.

There is no magic bullet. You have to systematically eliminate things that could be wrong. To quote Sherlock Holmes, "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@CTValleyRR : Currently, my Prodigy Advance MRC controller in Program Track output has no power. I took it apart and checked, suspecting a broken resistor. Do you know where to find the circuit diagram of this controller? I need it to check and replace broken resistors. Thanks

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
No, but I know you just voided your warrantee. Did you actually test the terminals on the back of the power supply before you took the radical step of pulling it apart?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, but I know you just voided your warrantee. Did you actually test the terminals on the back of the power supply before you took the radical step of pulling it apart?
Thanks you
My friend who works in repairing electronic instruments measured, checked and replaced that resistor for me. And it works normally.
Please ask more friends: What is the difference between using Program Track and Program on Main track on MRC? Is simply:
1. Program Track: Apply to 1 loco on a short track?
2. PoM: Apply to 1 loco but put on layout, maybe there are other loco on it?

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
The only thing you shouldn't do using program on the main is setting a loco address or performing a factory reset, for reasons that should be obvious -- it will effect ALL locos on the layout, not just the one you're trying to program.

The programming track uses uses lower voltage to protect the loco / decoder in the event of user error, but other than reading back a CV value, anything you can do on the programming track can be done on the main, and it will only affect the address you enter.

I know MRC brags that all the essential instructions are printed on the back of the handheld unit, but you really should read through the manual. It clearly explains all this and more. Surely there must be a Russian translation out there somewhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only thing you shouldn't do using program on the main is setting a loco address or performing a factory reset, for reasons that should be obvious -- it will effect ALL locos on the layout, not just the one you're trying to program.

The programming track uses uses lower voltage to protect the loco / decoder in the event of user error, but other than reading back a CV value, anything you can do on the programming track can be done on the main, and it will only affect the address you enter.

I know MRC brags that all the essential instructions are printed on the back of the handheld unit, but you really should read through the manual. It clearly explains all this and more. Surely there must be a Russian translation out there somewhere.
Usually when using Progam (Track or on the Main) I only put a single loco on the track, maybe add a number of freight cars.. So I think it probably won't affect other locos

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@CTValleyRR :
Yesterday, I tried to follow the program for the Roco 114 298-3 (diesel) locomotive using the address #2983 as follows (the locomotive is working normally through MRC control):
1. Place the loco on a short track. Connect the MRC to the track (using the To Program Track mode on the MRC ).
2. Power on, select Prog Track and set CV1 = 3.
3. Power off and then back on. Use Read Prog Track function to read CV1, but its value is 1, not 3.
I have tried resetting the values CV8 = 8 and CV29 = 38. Then re-read and checked, those CVs all have different values than the ones set above.
Then I switched to To Main Track mode and controlled the upper loco normally via address #2983
In this case, is there any problem with the Prog Track function of my MRC controller?

Thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts