Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. saw the diagram on the sound of steam board. shows a 220 ohm resistor on the smoke unit to chuff the tender.

Can I get these at radio shack? its a larger brown type. Im going to get ones for my crescent limited, my jersey central blue one, one of my 442 black engines.

I tested the tenders and all are working good off a "good" engine. so its the resistor on the smoke unit.

thanks
Chris

·
Admin
43,838 Posts
You should be able to get a 220 ohm resistor almost anywhere, including RS. Exactly how big is the resistor? "larger brown type" isn't must of a description, how about some measurements of diameter and length? What kind of marking, standard color codes?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
220 ohm is a common size. RS may have it or they may have it in a smaller wattage. The larger resistors will dissipate more power. Small resistors are usually 1/10 or 1/8 watt. Larger ones go from 1/4 watt to 1/2 to 1 to 2 watts. If the resistor is too small, it will emit smoke.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,608 Posts
You hit a sore spot. The resistor is 1/2 watt. SOmehow I found out to use the 220k resistor the 220 has more statis between the chuffs. This was my second video.

The smoke unit that has the acuator has 180 ohms,the difference between that and 220 is negligible. So all I can say is test it out. The diagram says 220 ohms also but I wonder if it is a mistake.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Remembering back 35 years, a friend of mine who is also an engineer and a train collector, said the SoS unit makes the chuff by taking the junction noise from a transistor and amplifying it. I think if you look at the circuit you will see a transistor with the base-emitter junction forward biased and nothing connected to the collector. I think it is this junction that makes the noise.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,608 Posts
The resistor is the key to the works. It stops the continual noise/chuff. When bypased you get the chuff.

On my video the 220k quieted the noise until bypassed but the 220 didn't and noise leaked continously.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, the resisitor is on the moke unit, but thats the wire that leads to rear of engine to connect to tender.

good thing I asked. is not 220 as diagrams say. hmmm. im going to clip it out and take it with me also. But it has to be this resistor. because I try the tender I thought was bad with another engine and t chuffs strong. so tray these "non chuffing tenders on another engine first. it may not be the board at all!

thanks for weighing in guys.

Chris

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The resistor is in the smoke assy. The one that Jim gave is 180 ohms brown grey brown

Maybe it is higher than 1/2 watt, I used the 1/2 watt.
ok, that one I have looks identical. so 1/2 watt 180 ohm. cool. did you replace your old one with a new one and your tender chuffed now? the symptom mine is doing is steady chuuuuuusssssshhhhhhhh. no chuff.

thanks chris

·
Yard Master & Research
10,608 Posts
I left it as is. There is a background, that is continuous but it gets lost when the chuff starts. The 180 or 220 is a 10% variation off of 200 so it makes very little difference.Initially you get noise but you have to activate it discharge(jump the resistor) that what happenes to get a single chuff.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im going toradio shack today to get a new resistor and solder it in and see what happens.

so 180 ohm and 1/2 watt is what I need to ask for? I hope they know what I am talking about!

thanks
Chris

·
Yard Master & Research
10,608 Posts
Resistors are funny and come in strange sizes. I haven't figured out why you need to change yours. I am not sure but they be 1 watt. In my test I did use a 1/2 watt resistor. They come in packages of 5 so find a number at 180 or higher. I do not think they stock 180 ohms. They have 220 ohms.

Remember this was a breakthrough in the 70's and it was for kids. The sound quality may be lacking but is was SOUND! Take it from somebody Who saw the invention of the color TV set. Cable was years away. but we had color and static was in color too!!!!!!

I am interested in this model since it was the first and collectors like better models. You are actually one of the first to come along and show some interest about owning one.

My actuator works so I should have it running with the tender in the near future.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 21 Posts