Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advise as how to repair the corner skirt as shown in the picture below (I do not have the broken section). Portlines has a skirt repair kit however I don't know if it is high enough in order to join it. Doug does not have a picture of the kit on his site. Any advise or experience with his kit will be greatly appreciated.

If this is posted in the wrong forum let me know and I will repost correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I've repaired skirts before by buying a piece of plastic stock from a hobby shop the same thickness of the shell.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

I've thought about doing what you suggest however, I don't have the fine tools necessary to replicate the details properly (more a mechanic than a modeler). My thinking was to use one corner skirt from the kit cut close to the break and attach to minimize that extra work. The question is will it be high enough to make the join at the top?

Some mold parts but that has never given me a good result so rather than mess it up, in the end the skirt kit would seem to be the easiest way out I thought.

Resources here are scarce for even finding another broken shell to cannibalize

Sagas

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I've thought about doing what you suggest however, I don't have the fine tools necessary to replicate the details properly (more a mechanic than a modeler). My thinking was to use one corner skirt from the kit cut close to the break and attach to minimize that extra work. The question is will it be high enough to make the join at the top?

Some mold parts but that has never given me a good result so rather than mess it up, in the end the skirt kit would seem to be the easiest way out I thought.

Resources here are scarce for even finding another broken shell to cannibalize

Sagas
I was going to suggest a damaged shell to find the part you need.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a 661 with a broken corner.You can have the shell for $15 but looks like you are in Canada not sure if shipping cost are worth it.I can cut shell in half and that may save on shipping.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts