Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started restoring some PW trains that were originally my Great Uncle's. When we had our house fire in 2014, the company which took them for cleaning actually destroyed the finish on many of them. Some were also broken in the process. I am finally coming around to remedying what I can and am looking for good sources for the decals for after I paint.

So far I have repainted a 2026 2-6-2 and am working on the internals, smoke unit is back operational and puffing. Still need to fix the head light and get a replacement tender. I have 3 Sunoco tankers I am working on.

Although not really PW focused, I am finding a lot of satisfaction working on these.

I am also interested in thoughts on repainting, what paints to use etc.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
If your major concentration is the locos, you would probably have better luck with Dry Transfer Numbers, from Woodland Scenics. Can’t really recommend any decal supplier, but others here can probably help. Good luck with the restorations.:smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Underground Railroad shop has water slide decals and stick on decals.
https://www.undergroundrrshop.com

J&A Hobbies also in Pennsylvania has decals and dry transfers for engines and cars. No website but google them for a phone number.

Lastly many repro parts guys sell rubber stamps for relettering engines. Takes a bit of practice but will give the most authentic restoration. I used to get mine from Olsens but its tough to contact them these days. There is a guy at York that has all of the stamps but not much help unless you are able to attend.

This is repainted 665 with rubber stamped numbers.

665.jpg

Pete

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Norton, just what I was looking for. I couldn't find the 8000 gallon stickers for the Sunoco 2 dome tank cars. Will be ordering now. Underground has them on their ebay store.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
These were all done with Underground's decals. In the process I realized you could make any version of the metal single domed tanks using any other version by simply adding and removing details like warning placards, trucks, and steps.

2555_1.jpg

2755.jpg

2855_2.jpg

2855_b.jpg

6555.jpg

Pete

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks fantastic, any suggestion on a good silver to use? I would prefer to use acrylics, where possible. It seems Joe Fugate has gone that direction due to the issues surrounding solvent based paints.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I have used both Testors 1246 and Tamiya TS30. Both very close with one slightly brighter than the other. Forgot which one though. Unfortunately neither are acrylics. They both cover with one or two coats so exposure time is brief, like 10 seconds to do one car.
BTW all cars were done with water slide decals. Underground sells the same in stick on but the film will be much thicker and the originals were water slide.

Pete

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Thank you Wood.
For those not familiar, the Underground Railroad store is owned by Lou Palumbo who has a column in CTT and is the Orange Hall Captain at York. Very nice guy and worth a stop if you are ever in western Pennsylvania (New Castle).

Pete

·
Registered
775 Posts
If Lou can't get what you need, I also recommend contacting Jim at Highball Graphics:
www.highballgraphics.com

The car in the pictures was missing the "Harry C. Ives" decal on one side when I bought it. In conversation with Brian (PTC) at York, he recommended Highball. I put the car on my scanner, made a copy of the decal, and in a very short time, Jim had an exact duplicate made for me at a very reasonable cost. And, as with most train guys, dealing with him was very pleasant. Here's the before/after:

HarryCIvesdecal1.jpg

HarryCIvesdecal2.jpg

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts