Model Train Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for your help, but. Yes, my two labeled reverse sections ARE reverse sections because I added them to the plan I “borrowed” which didn’t have any. I don’t have a problem with the blues and orange sections IF. The bottom section next to the 10’ sign is a double track part of the way, with a stub siding. This track was designed to be not only a rev loop but also partly hidden and a place to park my passenger train so it could run as a later return trip.
Sorry, had to post before I was done. Now where was I? Oh, yeah. What happens if I leave the Passenger train on one of the double main of the bottom rev. section hidden track? Also, the orange track has a Industrial complex switch right where the bridge crosses the main. Problem? And I have 90 percent of the track drop lines installed. Do they wire to the main bus normally if they are in a reverse section?

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Your main DCC controller will power the bus for ALL of your
non 'isolated' track. It will also be the input to the reverse
controller. In my scheme all Isolated track will be powered by the Reverse
controller. So, you may have to change some drops from
main bus to reverse controller bus depending on what
track section they are connected to.

Any tracks connected to main non isolated sections will
be powered by the main DCC bus. Any tracks connected to
the isolated section will be powered by the reverse controller bus.
Since you are operating DCC you may park your passenger
train wherever you want...it won't matter if it's on the main or
an isolated section. It won't be affected by the reverse
controller switching phase. That's just one of the great things
about DCC.

Don

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The entire layout is powered via a square wave digitized signal-carrying voltage and amperage. All the reverser does is correct phase conflicts. It doesn't impart its own digital signal for the decoders inside the locomotives to interpret...it merely passes on what the main DCC controller imparts in the way of controlling signals, but now without a phase conflict across the gap where the locomotive or first car entering the controlled section is.

So, this is why the reverser is wired in series into the wiring plan. It only corrects phase for one small length of rails, but it still puts through the same signals instructing decoders all over the layout if you have several locomotives on powered rails. When you consider its purpose and placement that way, figuring out how to wire it into place becomes much easier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The entire layout is powered via a square wave digitized signal-carrying voltage and amperage. All the reverser does is correct phase conflicts. It doesn't impart its own digital signal for the decoders inside the locomotives to interpret...it merely passes on what the main DCC controller imparts in the way of controlling signals, but now without a phase conflict across the gap where the locomotive or first car entering the controlled section is.

So, this is why the reverser is wired in series into the wiring plan. It only corrects phase for one small length of rails, but it still puts through the same signals instructing decoders all over the layout if you have several locomotives on powered rails. When you consider its purpose and placement that way, figuring out how to wire it into place becomes much easier.
Check out the new and improved graphics

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I see the additional tracks and spurs but they don't change anything
from the scheme I've posted before.

Don

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OP:

The "rev loops" that you had specified above ARE NOT REVERSING LOOPS.

I have made some annotations to your plan below.
The track "in green" is your "MAINLINE" -- you can run continuously around it without problems.

You actually have TWO "reversing sections".
Running a train through EITHER of them will result in a short, unless you insulate the rails (show in red lines below), and use either DPDT switches or with dcc, use an auto reverser. I don't use any auto reversers, so I don't know if one or if TWO will be needed for two reversing sections.

One reversing section is indicated in blue below.
The other reversing section is in orange.

The orange one looks long enough to hold an entire train.
The blue one, perhaps not.
Chances are, it will work ok, anyway. You'll have to try it to see.
View attachment 545582
The reason that the orange line won’t work is that to simplify things I left out that what you have as the orange line is in fact a double main. And it stars “north” of there just opposite the “To Yard” sign. Please refer to new map above. Also, I’m confused about how to power the Reverse sections. Somewhere today I read that it’s different from power coming from the Main Bus. Sorry, wasn’t trying to confuse you guys, but I wanted to keep the map simple.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Sam

You may have been confused by the terms used. The 'reverse' section
takes it's power from the reverse loop controller. The reverse controller
takes it's power from the main DCC controller bus that powers the
non reverse tracks.

Stay with us, it's easy to get confused
by different terms.

I am confused by your post that discusses additional tracks. I can't
match your words to the drawing.

Perhaps a whole new drawing showing the 'new' tracks you mention.

Don

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
This is a simple but nice track plan. There are multiple ways to wire it, I thing the easiest way that works with any combination of trains operating is the following. Wire the green highlighted track directly to the power supply. Wire the red highlighted track between turnouts A and D, including the double track and siding, through a reverse loop controller (PSX-AR). Wire the red highlighted track between turnouts C and D through a second reverse loop controller. That reverse loop looks too short to me. The easiest fix to lengthen it is to remove the insulated gaps in the diverging leg of turnout D and put them in the straight leg. Then put insulating gaps near the bridge. This makes the orange part longer but has part of the main line connected to the reverse loop controller. The trains and controller will not care, the layout will run fine. If the train is just running on the main line the controller will never actuate. It will only actuate when C and D are set to the diverging route.
The Turn Table shown also needs to be wired through its own reverse loop controller.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
I am confused by your post that discusses additional tracks. I can't
match your words to the drawing.

Perhaps a whole new drawing showing the 'new' tracks you mention.

Don
Don's right, here. In the effort to keep things simple, you're actually adding to the confusion. A full track diagram, with all the spurs and parallel tracks carefully drawn in, will help us give you the best advice possible. Otherwise, you'll keep getting advice to which your response will be, "that won't work, because things REALLY look like this."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
This is a simple but nice track plan. There are multiple ways to wire it, I thing the easiest way that works with any combination of trains operating is the following. Wire the green highlighted track directly to the power supply. Wire the red highlighted track between turnouts A and D, including the double track and siding, through a reverse loop controller (PSX-AR). Wire the red highlighted track between turnouts C and D through a second reverse loop controller. That reverse loop looks too short to me. The easiest fix to lengthen it is to remove the insulated gaps in the diverging leg of turnout D and put them in the straight leg. Then put insulating gaps near the bridge. This makes the orange part longer but has part of the main line connected to the reverse loop controller. The trains and controller will not care, the layout will run fine. If the train is just running on the main line the controller will never actuate. It will only actuate when C and D are set to the diverging route.
The Turn Table shown also needs to be wired through its own reverse loop controller.
Good straight forward advice. My only question is the “every track section must have a drop wire to the bus” practice. On the reverse sections, especially between switch A and B, do I tap into the wires coming from the reverse Module to the reverse section to power additional track sections? Am using Peco c80 Flex.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The answer to that question is yes. On my layout all the track joints are soldered, a lot of work. Because of the soldered joints I have a power feed connection on every other section of flex.
The other way to lengthen the reverse loop I did not mention is to just move turnout C up closer to the TT area. I thought it would be a lot more work if that part is already built and also it might interfere with the yard area.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Here is a simplistic but clear track wiring diagram. The power from the power supply is on the terminal strip on the left. If there is more than one power feed required to the track sections powered through the PSX-AR it is easiest to take the two output wires From the PSX-AR to a separate terminal strip then run wires from there to the multiple track sections.

5161D747-DBB5-494D-B3F7-45A92CEF8DD2.png

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The answer to that question is yes. On my layout all the track joints are soldered, a lot of work. Because of the soldered joints I have a power feed connection on every other section of flex.
The other way to lengthen the reverse loop I did not mention is to just move turnout C up closer to the TT area. I thought it would be a lot more work if that part is already built and also it might interfere with the yard area.
To quote “Young Frankenstein“, IT WOULD WORK! Yes, all the track shown is already built. But as you already said, it hurts nothing to extend the reverse section into the Main. Just have to measure that darn (beautiful) Passenger train! Keep fingers crossed, I’m heading down to the dungeon, time to work. Wife said this morning “I’d like to see something run BEFORE I die!” No, she’s not sick... Well maybe in the head, look who she married. Thanks to all for your help. Sam

21 - 34 of 34 Posts