Model Train Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Getting close to my Final Answer, as the saying goes. Comments/critique still invited:

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
A very good point about the reverse loop.
If you have one reverse loop you really need two so
you can reverse back to the original direction.

You have two loops but they go the same way, no way to reverse
back to the original direction.
Going counter clockwise you can reverse to clockwise on either loop
but can't reverse to CCW again.

Going CW you can't reverse at all.

Magic

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
A very good point about the reverse loop.
If you have one reverse loop you really need two so
you can reverse back to the original direction.

You have two loops but they go the same way, no way to reverse
back to the original direction.
Going counter clockwise you can reverse to clockwise on either loop
but can't reverse to CCW again.

Going CW you can't reverse at all.

Magic
Very good points, thanks Magic. I will play some more in Anyrail, but my fear is that adding another will give too much of a figure 8 for my taste. Right now, the concept is to use the main reverse loop to 'return' to the yard head first. The reverse there would be the turntable for the outbound head first trip.

I do not need that second reverse loop, and may well drop it as that gives 4 curves on that northern loop. But I do want some way for the switcher to get south of the main reverse loop to work industries there.

I'm still thinking and have begun work on the yard. So the yard design is pretty much fixed in my mind. Thanks to all! -----Steve

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You really only need ONE reverse loop for a layout that originates a train in the yard, then runs it on the mainline, runs through the loop, and returns to the yard. The second reverse loop just "gets in the way"...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Took out one reversing loop. I want the one with the diamond just for operating interest. Won't be a lot of traffic serving those southern spurs, but some could cause interference.

The wye turnout is there because I already have it on hand!

This rendition leaves one LH Walthers/Shin #6-1/2 curved TO unused. Where could it go?

As always, comments/critique welcome!

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Nowhere. Never install track just to use up pieces or fill space. Notice how much cleaner and less cluttered your layout looks now?

Reactions: Stejones82
41 - 50 of 50 Posts