Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rewiring AF O switches for full on power so i removed the center rail wire and connected it to constant power then hooked up a lionel switch (i like them better then AF), power to center switch wire then each side to switch. Works but....BOTH lights are on the controller. Any way to fix that?

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,581 Posts
I have never seen an O gage AF switch. My first impression is that power does not go to center switch . Center switch is ground to outer rail. When a lever is pressed the coil side gets grounded and operates. In simplicity power to the switch coils complete the circuit to operate a coil. The lionel switch controller.is a two part switch one part keeps the light on.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I would think the easiest way is to use a Gilbert postwar track switch control box to throw the turnouts rather than the Lionel controller. The red and green lights in the Gilbert controller are completely independent of the turnout power and illumination. A two position mechanical lever in the control box powers the correct light based on the last movement of the throw lever.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It is AC. The track is S gauge but you only need the controller. The prewar Gilbert 3 rail turnouts are somewhat different than Lionel in that the Gilbert turnouts are power routing based on the direction the points are thrown. I do not have any so I do not know if the solenoid is actuated by completing the circuit to common or, like postwar, to power. If it is to common just reverse the yellow and black wires that connect from the controller to the transformer. I think the prewar turnouts only have two connections so those would be for the red and green wires from the controller.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is simple, thats the problem. Amflyer is correct, I need more wires because the AF switch separates the switch lights from the switch solenoid. The solenoid has juice on it hence why the control lights are on. I need 3 wires to power the single pole switch and 2 more for the lights in the controller.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great pic. Looks like that has a second mechanism that stays on the contact, light on. 4 wires should work this way, 2 for the solenoid and 2 for a/c. I will get one of those switches.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What actually make a 031 lionel switch auto switch when a train approaches. Wonder if the O scale AF switches can do that or be wired to.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,581 Posts
Simple, it is an isolated piece of track. The axle makes contact and the circuit is complete to common. The coil is connected to the isolated section. It is called the non derailing feature.
The early 1122 switches did not have it and the manual describes how to use the CTC connector and wire it up.
The 022 switch is more complicated with it's slider so it will activate the switch once and slide so the other axles see no current. The other side will be ready to activate if the train approaches.
For me anyways it is almost impossible to remember everything I have researched and that is why I like the manual.

The Thor site has the basic 027 manual with many explanations.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
... The axle makes contact and the circuit is complete to common. The coil is connected to the isolated section. It is called the non derailing feature.
The 022 switch is more complicated with it's slider so it will activate the switch once and slide so the other axles see no current.

The Thor site has the basic 027 manual with many explanations.
For the early Marx metal O-27 switches, I created this circuit. It uses two Arduino modules (~$4 per switch) to avoid coil burnout. Works perfectly. A train can park on the isolated rail and the circuit prevents power to the coil after the initial throw. I found the capacitive discharge approach to be wanting. And the Marx switches don't have positive feed back that cuts coil power once the switch is thrown.

"For me anyways it is almost impossible to remember everything I have researched and that is why I like the manual."

There's a "You know your really old" thread currently running on Union Station. :)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
These American Flyer turnouts have selective power routing built in. If the layout is properly wired it is not possible to run the engine into an open turnout because those rails will be unpowered. If automatic turnout throwing is desired then the power routing feature must be turned off and the turnouts should be powered from track power. If not sooner or later the track switch coils will burn out from an engine or illuminated car sitting on the isolated actuation section. If the turnouts are powered from constant voltage then something like the system Millstonemike posted is necessary for the American Flyer turnouts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts