Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday and tonight I installed catenary. This is my first time working with Sommerfeldt, but I didn't find it difficult. The hardest part was trying to get the holes for the masts drilled exactly vertical on a slope. This is a lot harder than it looks, at least for me. Some of the masts are slightly canted, but the casual observer probably won't notice. In a few cases they are canted away from or towards the viewing angle and can't be seen at all from that viewpoint.

You will notice in the photos which are not perfectly vertical. The soldering is probably the easiest part once the wire is in position.

All of this wire was positioned using the locomotive to make absolutely certain the wire was within the limits of the pantographs. I'm happy to say that even if it doesn't look perfect, it operates perfectly with the pans on the wire. Swiss pans are also narrower than German pans so the margin for error is even less.

I have about 9' or almost 3 meters finished and many more meters to go. I'm using 380mm wire between the masts on the straights and it has proven to be taut enough that there is no flex in the wire from the pan pressure on the wire.

I'm pretty pleased so far.











 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,021 Posts
Great stuff there, Michael.
All your work is superb.
I'm jealous.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top