Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would try working on an old Locomotive and this one popped up as non-working and cheap (no one bid on it). It came in its plastic box labeled #1244 and in searching around, it's not the best to try resurrecting, as reports indicated it was noisy and maybe not worth the effort. There was mention of a can motor replacement and that's what I could not find. But on to what I received.
1. Nicely taken care of and has been lightly weathered.
2. I tried it on the track and it stuttered and had problems moving.

I cleaned all the contacts (tender also) and did notice a little fuzzy stuff between the drive wheel flanges and the protruding contact nubs, so I cleaned those. The biggest problem was the tongue between the engine and tender as one side of the power comes from the tender, and after working on this connection and general cleaning and checking the lubrication, I could run it back and forth on my 3' test track without any stutter. It is a little noisy and I heard some squeaks from the tender.

So any better ideas as to should it be re-motored? Does any one know how much amperage these old Rivarossi motors take? Are the flanges going to be a problem on my code 83 track? My code 83 track is all DCC so I can't actually power it up on the Code 83 track without a little rewiring. I'll take some pictures of it. Its at least a different number than my other NKP Berk!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I thought I would try working on an old Locomotive and this one popped up as non-working and cheap (no one bid on it). It came in its plastic box labeled #1244 and in searching around, it's not the best to try resurrecting, as reports indicated it was noisy and maybe not worth the effort. There was mention of a can motor replacement and that's what I could not find. But on to what I received.
1. Nicely taken care of and has been lightly weathered.
2. I tried it on the track and it stuttered and had problems moving.

I cleaned all the contacts (tender also) and did notice a little fuzzy stuff between the drive wheel flanges and the protruding contact nubs, so I cleaned those. The biggest problem was the tongue between the engine and tender as one side of the power comes from the tender, and after working on this connection and general cleaning and checking the lubrication, I could run it back and forth on my 3' test track without any stutter. It is a little noisy and I heard some squeaks from the tender.

So any better ideas as to should it be re-motored? Does any one know how much amperage these old Rivarossi motors take? Are the flanges going to be a problem on my code 83 track? My code 83 track is all DCC so I can't actually power it up on the Code 83 track without a little rewiring. I'll take some pictures of it. Its at least a different number than my other NKP Berk!
Lemonhawk that is one sweet Berkie....so you cleaned everything contacts, springs, basically everything power related to your track...is that motor running hot by any chance...and yes these locomotives flanges do just fine on code 83 track(switches and turnouts can be tricky but that's what some others have said)...all 5 of mine handle my code 83 pulling anywhere from 5 to 20 Box Cars or Hoppers. What type couplers do I see, that's great! Checking Model Railroader files a 1970's Berkshire tested at maximum stall current of 12 Volts 1.4 Amps if that helps,,it also hit 102 Scale MPH on 12 volts drawing 0.28 Amps...they do fly but..well you don't want to pull a Gomez Addams:laugh::laugh::laugh: what radius are you curves...18" are manageable but 22" is a real charm...anyway you have quite the find there my friend and Nuthin Pulls like a Berkie!! Post some pictures or even video,,Good Find!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MacDaddy55, I didn't check to see if the motor was warm or hot, as I only have a 3' section of flex track that I can run it on. I'll put on stationary running stands and see how well it does. How do I get the tender a part?

And yes, telltail the pictures are on code 83 track, but its all just connected to DCC, I would have to do some rewiring to make some of the track DC capable and probably won't do that! I ran the tender back and forth over the code 83 track and I think I can feel it just touching the the rail guides on the CV ties. The plan would be to replace the trucks on the tender with ones that would pick up both rails anyway for smoother DCC operation.

One of original questions was remotoring with a can motor. A search turned up a no longer available ebay site that had kits for this. It looks like it could easily be done, but it would be nice to learn from others before I tear out a motor that does still work!

The headlite is loose but I'll probably replace it with an LED. There also appears to be a dummy head lite just above the working one at the center. I might do a little work on upgrading the lights.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
... Are the flanges going to be a problem on my code 83 track? ...
Yes, it may actually lift the wheels off the rails as the flanges ride on the plastic tie plates.

I have ground down Rivarossi wheel flanges, but then it exposes copper under the nickle plate wheels.

Here is mine, has a pancake motor and split frame making repowering very difficult.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts

Ok so first of all that is a nice looking berk!!
I have the one just like it. The motor would over heat & stall with just 3 cars on it.
I did remotored it with a Bachmann motor. It did come out of a fa diesel. I took the weight off the other side & trimed the shaft off. It’s a bit crowd, but it works amazing! The only hiccup I had was finding the plastic fingers that go on the drive shaft. I did get a set of them off eBay a few years ago. I think that place might be out of business. I had to trim the mounts so I could set the motor as close as I did.
As for your tender it will open up if you take off the pin that connects it to the engine. It just unscrews. There is a small nut on top of it. Then it just pops open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a spare Athearn motor, I take a look at that and see if its a possibility. Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a spare Athearn motor, I take a look at that and see if its a possibility. Thanks for the pictures!

No problem! Hope it works out. I love my Berkshire locos! I have 6 total. 4 rivarossi & 2 bachmann. All have the bachmann motor in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts