Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TJ may have elves clean up his tinplate but I have Yardsale Pixies. Well a co worker, turned in a box from last weekend. Lo and behold a Rivarossi needing my attention.

I researched HOseeker. I am not sure if it is a Pacific or Heavy Pacific. The number on the tender belongs to a Mallet. It has no pickups the wheels may have been changed out.
The only part missing is the boiler front. Sound familiar?:eek:hwell:

With time constraints it has not been cleaned or tested.. More dirty pictures to follow. They are in my photo bucketaccount if you must see.

One to end the day.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wire "How it is"

The wire path for this beast will help understand it. It is rather creative. It starts with a metal isolated frame. It recieves power from the right rail through the forward and aft drives wheels. This is done with a spring loaded wiper touching the outer metal part of the wheel. From there it goes to a motor brush.

The green side is picked up through the left side of the tender. The forward and rear axles of each truck are used and connected by a spring metal band wiper This is normally screwed to a metal base plate in the tender. From there it goes to the post and the engine draw bar At that point, there is an isolated rivet and a wire goes to the other motor brush. A pin sticks into the rivet to feed the forward bulb that is grounded to the frame.

That is the basic electical setup.

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
2197 tender

I found out the tender is not made for pickup. The post for the drawbar is stuck in the plastic shell and it has no metal frame bar to connect everthing,

Anyway, I got it apart, the big secret is to pull the post and the bottom drops out.

The bottom frame had some weights.

I am using photobucket and here is the link for this engine if you want to see more.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
T-Man,

What is the cylinder shown in Post 7 ??? Is that a weight? Motor ???

TJ
Looks kind of like an older style steam generator.

T-man you there have a Heavy Pacific. The only difference between a heavy and non that I can find and dig up is that the Heavys have a larger three axled per truck tender and the Non-Heavys have a smaller two axle per truck tender. More specifically your engine looks similar to a K4 but could also be a G series engine.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K-4 or G Series. That helps.
The cylinder is a weight above the two forward drive wheels. The worm gear drives the rear from the motor.

I looked at my Marquette Tender. It shows wires and a clip to hold the drawbar post plus brackets tha support the trucks. Other than that it looks like the 2197 frame.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Light Up

Here I soldered the wire to the base. It sits in front of the weight.

Below you see two screws holding the weight, then a plastic pin holding the contact for the wire that touches the bottom of the light. Then the silver screw that holds the support for holding the light in on the bottom.

To get at the light I had to remove the top half of the shell. That was done by removing 6 pins that hold the railing.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Looking a lot cleaner with that "bird's nest" of dirt all gone.

What holds the railing pins? Are they simply friction fit, or do they spread apart like a cotter pin?

Cheers,

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just a tight fit. The pieces are very small.

I am comparing tenders. So far I have two different size pins. Th Pacific has a smallhole and it needs to have the wheels reversed from the other tenders I do have. Go figure.:eek:hwell:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Straighten the wire.

After more research on the wiring set up, I have discovered the pickup is correctly on the right side. The mystery was in the tenders. Rivarossi uses a metal washer to complete the connection to the outer wheel from the axle.

The center axle is out of the loop and the pickup is on the left side.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
With the tender issue solved,time to clean and lube the chassis.
Notice the pressure pins on the chassis for the outer wheel connection.

A little weight in front.
Using the Blue Goose Tender Test Run! :thumbsup:

Rocky Road test is good.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Looks like the Rivarossi is passing inspection OK from the roadside crew.

I've been working on Lionel O too long ... it's strange for me to see an HO motor running like that with such a low profile, and the cowcatcher along for the motor ride.

Looks great!

TJ

1 - 20 of 43 Posts