Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange identification for a "Northern" type locomotive, but it stuck.

FEF = Four Eight Four, thankfully they are even numbers, Five Eight Fives would never do.

I have been lusting after a FEF in HO for weeks now, especially Rivarossi's edition. Then one came up on ebay with eight cars of all persuasions. It lingered for awhile so I made a low ball offer that was accepted.

Arrived yesterday, locomotive and cars all new in the box with the boxes having some sunlight discoloration. Not a problem.

No longer NIB. I removed all and ran them on my outside 22 r track. First time around the FEF tended to lift a driver on my only "S" curve but subsequent rotations showed no tendency to repeat.

After, I relegated all to a wall display to enjoy until the next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I have a Rivarossi 8444 also. Very nice locomotive. Congrats on the addition. I like
your gray paint scheme. Mine is all black. A little info. You may or may not know.
This is a model of the famous UP 844. For a while the 844 was numbered 8444 because
when it was rebuilt the UP had a diesel that was numbered 844. When that diesel was retired, UP renumbered the steamer back to 844. Do a lube job on yours and you should be pleased with your new engine.

I am a big fan of UP's steam program. I have the Challenger 3985 and Big Boy 4014 along
with the FEF 8444. All Rivarossi.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a little research on the FEF and came up with the numbering scheme when I first became interested in them. Interesting backstory on these.

I like the gray, but would buy one in black if I ever found one at a reasonable price.

I'm not sure of the proper alignment of the cars but I guessed at the RPO car first followed by the baggage car the coaches and vista then the diner and observation.

I have ran Rivarossi engines and cars for years and thought I had seen all of their packaging. But the brown fuzzy coated tray on the fully furnished RPO car is a first for me.

Shelved them until next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some nice equipment.

Why were some locos outfitted with those "ears"?
Hi Stumpy

Smoke deflectors (also known as smoke baffles, smoke lifting plates, and/or "elephant ears") are metal plates that are attached to the sides of the smoke box on a steam locomotive. In the first half of the 1800s, the trains had very tall chimneys. There was no problem with the smoke. But when trains became larger; new lower, stronger bridges were built (not just for trains). This meant that tall chimneys were no longer an option.

Worked best and most commonly found on passenger locomotives to keep smoke away from the cars. Diesels solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
I always thought that the baggage car was directly behind the engine, and ahead of the RPO, but since we are all in charge of our own railroads, it matters not....:D

Nice looking train! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Hi Stumpy

Smoke deflectors (also known as smoke baffles, smoke lifting plates, and/or "elephant ears") are metal plates that are attached to the sides of the smoke box on a steam locomotive. In the first half of the 1800s, the trains had very tall chimneys. There was no problem with the smoke. But when trains became larger; new lower, stronger bridges were built (not just for trains). This meant that tall chimneys were no longer an option.

Worked best and most commonly found on passenger locomotives to keep smoke away from the cars. Diesels solved the problem.
IC. TY.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Rivarossi 8444 also. Very nice locomotive. Congrats on the addition. I like
your gray paint scheme. Mine is all black. A little info. You may or may not know.
This is a model of the famous UP 844. For a while the 844 was numbered 8444 because
when it was rebuilt the UP had a diesel that was numbered 844. When that diesel was retired, UP renumbered the steamer back to 844. Do a lube job on yours and you should be pleased with your new engine.

I am a big fan of UP's steam program. I have the Challenger 3985 and Big Boy 4014 along
with the FEF 8444. All Rivarossi.
I remember now where I saw it:

http://www.rivarossi-memory.it/ENGLISH_VERSION/Riva_American_Locos/Riva_FEF_4-8-4_Eng.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts