Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I'm a new user and I've been thinking about selling an HO scale Big Boy made by Rivarrossi in the 1940's I believe. I started building a model railroad when I was younger with my dad, but, due to space and funds, I haven't continued with it. Still don't have the space, now 15 years later, but still interested in someday building one.

I've had this for about 15 years now and I remember we bought it for around $250. I was wondering if this worth something since I'd like to sell since I don't have any use for it. It worked 15 years ago, and it's been in a box in the basement ever since.

I can post some pictures of it on thursday, if you guys are interested.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

The Rivarossi Big Boy was introduced in December of 1966 and released the following January. A picture would definitely help in identifying just what you have and when it was made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum...

The Rivarossi Big Boy was introduced in December of 1966 and released the following January. A picture would definitely help in identifying just what you have and when it was made.

Thank you, and thank you for the answer.

I guess I got the decades mixed up :). I'll try to get a few pictures of it tonight and post it. I still have the original plastic box for it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The older units don't command h price the newer ones do. The newer ones have the motor in the boiler, whereas the older ones have the motor located in the cab. I have both and I'd sell the old one long before the newer one.

I just bought an older model, still running, for parts for my older model for $30 plus shipping a few months back from a dealer. Still the Big Boys normally command a good price, just depends on who's looking or one. I wouldn't buy another of the older ones, as I prefer the Red Box models.

One could maybe get $100 or more out of the older engine on eBay, depending on the condition.

Bob

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Bob is right but, when put in perspective, consider that the early ones sold for $49 originally. Now they're selling on Ebay for and average of $125-175 depending on condition and demand...not a bad return for a plastic locomotive.

The downside would be those purchased in the mid 70s through the late 80s when they were pushing $300-400 each. Those same units still will only sell for between $125-175 apiece...a rather large loss.

The ones put out in the 90s outclass anything offered in the past as far as running characteristics and closer to scale wheel flanges but are still essentially the same locos first brought out in 1967 detail wise.

Me...I'll always have room for one more...

June 1967 Model Railroader magazine Trade Topics...

December 1966 MR announcement...find the typo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts