1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Placed an order for two
(Sight unseen).

Circa 1966

Except for a 5-pack of Kadee cars, this is the first big dollar item I've ever bought without seeing it.
Our "Train Pimp" has them on order from ScaleTrains, and his price is nice.

The SP had 317 of them, and they put their 3,600 horses to work in such places as the Tehachapi Loop, and lots of fast-freight was hauled behind them over the Shasta Route.

Unfortunately, they were actually overpowered... engine block flex caused crankshaft failures.
They were eventually replaced by 45-2's and T's in 1972.

RC-SP-8800-Roster-2153-wm-1024x512.jpg

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I forgot they were coming out with that.
Just placed my order.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Thats what I meant. I mean I think they should have that characteristic of hoses. Not a molded set.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I personally don’t care if hoses don’t have the “characteristic” of real rubber or not....as long as they are depicted as looking like the real ones, they could be made out of metal, as far as I’m concerned....it’s not like I am going to be actually handing the hoses all the time, if I touch them at all.....sorry if that sounds harsh.....

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not harsh at all...
Realistic & logical!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I know it is illogical but I'd prefer hoses. Whereas a lot of the other details are lost on me. I'd also prefer glass in the windows. I think wipers should move. I don't mean by motor though. Doors on visibly separate hinges to me should open and close. I think trucks should have unmolded in springs. Why do I think these things. I have no idea. I also think horns should have a bell cavity. I mean that just seems obvious to me. I hate the solid horns.

Here's some more. Chains should be metal. The railings should be metal. Although to scale. I'm sure that's hard and it easier to mold them and put the color in that way too.

I always think the molded in railing color is never quite right.

The genesis 2 sd90macs cab roof comes off. There's some interior to it.

But I think it ought to be more realistic.

I mean what's the point of offering a half feature?

I also think the sound should be from the prototype if it exists. Why not....

Ok so what's that up to $10000 model engine? Ok ok... Still are they even trying?

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I think the detail nowadays is quite sufficient.....for the price they charge......as you say, not many $10,000 model locomotives will be sold if the detail goes so anal.....

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Actually as I said much of the detail is actually lost on me due to a lack of familiarity and quite a bit of is fragile. But I still like it and ive been trained to expect ever more at an affordable price.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In 1968, I rode cross-country on the Harley from Connecticut to SoCal, then northeast to Yellowstone, and back.
I will never forget the five and six-unit consists of SD45's I saw hauling freight drags through the San Joaquin, and up to the Shasta wilderness.
The 20-cylinder 645E's had a distinctive 'cyclonic' turbo sound, and as they rumbled past, I could usually perceive a slightly different 'pitch' between them.
Some said it was just my issue with military induced tinnitus, but others could hear it too.

In their day, these diesels were among the most powerful brutes on the rails.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I’m not much of a diesel guy but the amount of detail some ho scale diesels have is incredible. Due to technology and the tooling available I think all modern locomotives have come a long way from what they were in the 70s and 80s. In my own opinion I think nothing compares to brass from back in the day or even modern brass but that’s god awful expensive. If you’re worried about perfect details then 2 rail o scale or g scale is where ya need to be. I’m willing to sacrifice a few details to be able to run a prototypical length train in the walls of my own house and not spend my life’s savings and my sons college fund to do it. I mean for a few hundred bucks that’s not terrible for what you get

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
You do get a lot more than you did 40 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My choices for cab#'s 8810 and 8837 are secure.
I'm a little disappointed at such a narrow band of choices.
I believe they were numbered from 8500 to the 8800's.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I think there are plenty of HO locomotives out there already that have a satisfying amount of detail....take this Rapido offering just as an example....

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
....take this Rapido offering just as an example....
You aren't gonna' find much better than Rapido.
Some of their stuff is mind blowing.
I can't usually afford them, so if I want detail, I go for ScaleTrains, Genesis, Atlas Gold, etc.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
All of those that you mention you go for are great pieces, the detail is more than enough to satisfy all but the pedantic.....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
My SD45 arrived today. Had a few minutes to program the cab number to it and define some other functions then ran it for a few minutes on the empire. Impressive model. Just needs some weathering now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts