Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 25 years, I have a conductivity problem. I removed axles to clean and grease gears. I carefully re-assembled and now it's not running. Power Pack trips off, direct short.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Maybe a wire came off of one of the pickups and is in contact with the frame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After 25 years, I have a conductivity problem. I removed axles to clean and grease gears. I carefully re-assembled and now it's not running. Power Pack trips off, direct short.
[/QUOTE

No loose wires observed , I'm thinking it's something with the non drive wheels power pickup. May have remove trucks.
Paul

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The last reply probably is the case. You'll have to identify which of the trucks is meant to feed which post on the decoder, and then make darned double-sure the pickup end of the axle is under the wiper, or against it, for each of the axles in that truck. If you have all axles correctly inserted, all wipers making contact, and you still have a short, remove loco and restore track power. Does it still want to stop a short? Then it's not the locomotive.

One other remote possibility is that the insulation has been worn over time inside one of the inner wires and it is allowing contact with the frame or some other wire and you're now shorted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is one of the axels flipped so its not isolated the same as the others?
I thought same thing and have flipped axles both ways with no success. It must be something else. When I put power to both none drive axles the motor runs!!

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Recheck the red and black wires from the decoder to the trucks...both red wires should be on
the right rail wheels..both black wires to the left rail wheels.

Since you find the motor runs when loco off the track and probes are used to power it...the
indication decoder is OK...then it's back to the trucks...you may have tjurned one truck 180...Motor would still run
when off the tradk...but when on the tracck there is a short. Again make sure both red wires
are to wheels on RIGHT RAIL

Don

frame.

If all of the above checks out...again remove the axles from both trucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The last reply probably is the case. You'll have to identify which of the trucks is meant to feed which post on the decoder, and then make darned double-sure the pickup end of the axle is under the wiper, or against it, for each of the axles in that truck. If you have all axles correctly inserted, all wipers making contact, and you still have a short, remove loco and restore track power. Does it still want to stop a short? Then it's not the locomotive.

One other remote possibility is that the insulation has been worn over time inside one of the inner wires and it is allowing contact with the frame or some other wire and you're now shorted.
L.p.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am really frustrated. no loose wires observed, Drive wheels and power axles on both trucks flipped both directions, all combinations . No Since its not DCC control, decoder wiring, Drive runs when power put to pickup axle on 1 truck and drive axle on other truck but shorts when powered on same truck. The same happens when repeated on other truck .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts