Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a super warehouse find according to the RMT folks. They found a bunch of Bang diesels again. Regular price for this little guy is $400 [ LOL ] but are now on sale for $296 [ LOL ]. I bought a couple of these guys when K-Line had the tooling many years ago for around $60.

Now here is the comical part. Received the RMT e-mail and right above it a e-mail from Pats Trains. I can get a MTH SW switcher with all the DCS / PS-3 features for $300.

Heck of a comparison. RMT conventional Bang for $296 or a MTH SW DCS / PS-3 for $300.

Bill

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Gee wiz Bill. You didn’t mention that for your $300, a matching caboose is included. A Bang without the caboose can be had for only $240.

·
Admin
44,204 Posts
I too marvel at the RMT prices. I'm waiting on the new Lionel LC+ 2.0 Docside swichers, my price will be around $210/ea. Just comparing most things to what RMT now sells, and it's a mystery how they sell anything at those prices!

Another mystery. I just looked at the website as I fool around with the BEEP locomotives. They have a powered chassis for $119.95. You can also buy a complete BEEP for... $119.95! Why would I buy just the chassis, I can buy the whole thing?

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I understand the owner of RMT is a farmer. Now I know what he is growing.

I paid 75 bucks for my first Beep and it came with TMCC installed by no other than Jon Z himself.

Pete

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
You're wrong John. The complete BEEP is $199.99, so to answer your question, you save 4 cents by buying the chassis only.
Actually $120 for a Beep isn't too crazy.

·
Admin
44,204 Posts
Well Pete, that was a bargain that you don't often see! :D

I have my "super enhanced" BEEP with cruise, sound, tons of lighting features, etc. that I did when I was beta testing the Cruise Commander Lite boards. It's the smallest thing I've seen TMCC cruise installed in.

Actually, when you compare the price of the BEEP at $120 and the BANG at $240, the BEEP suddenly looks like a good deal.

BOB, where do you see $199.99 for the BEEP? I never look at the MSRP there, that's just a fantasy number!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I meant to type $119.99 for the BEEP. And the chassis only is $119.95. BEEP® Diesel <br> Complete Powered Diesel and Bodyshells<br> and Complete Diesel + Caboose Sets<br> *IN STOCK *Order Now<br>*UPDATE April 17, 2020

In the not too distant past, RMT had reasonable prices for things like seated BEEPeople, hoppers, Ore cars (when they were on sale). But, I haven't seen prices I would go for since Walter came out of retirement. About the only thing I would even consider these days is a box car if they had a road name that I absolutely had to have and Menards didn't have it.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I got my first Beep not long after they were introduced. Don't recall list price but you could get them for around 50 bucks street price. My TMCC version was offered by forum member on OGR. It was lettered for NYC so I didn't have to think too long about it. The board is one I have not seen offered even after I got it. It was an early effort and different from the later Beep boards. Still works fine though.

Pete

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant to type $119.99 for the BEEP. And the chassis only is $119.95. BEEP® Diesel <br> Complete Powered Diesel and Bodyshells<br> and Complete Diesel + Caboose Sets<br> *IN STOCK *Order Now<br>*UPDATE April 17, 2020

In the not too distant past, RMT had reasonable prices for things like seated BEEPeople, hoppers, Ore cars (when they were on sale). But, I haven't seen prices I would go for since Walter came out of retirement. About the only thing I would even consider these days is a box car if they had a road name that I absolutely had to have and Menards didn't have it.
Yep, I did purchase 2 of RMT N de M boxcars at $30 each. They are from the same manufacture that Menard's uses but $10 higher than Menards pricing. Unfortunately RMT is the only game in town if you want some N de M boxcars, very rare roadname for any manufacture, almost nonexistant.

Same deal for the AEC boxcars, RMT has em, Menards does not.

PA280002.JPG

Bill

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Those NdeM cars are cool. I painted one in N scale on a KD car and added some “Passengers”. I wish I took pictures of it. I gave to a buddy of mine....

Tom

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
The Bangs are not worth anything like that price. Wow. I bought two way back when RMT first released them. They were barely adequate, and I don't remember what happened to them but I don't have them any more. Like you say, Pat can get you something alot better for the same price range.

·
Admin
44,204 Posts
The BEEP is a fun little locomotive, the BANG is an expensive fantasy locomotive. As previously stated, a nice RailKing switcher will be more detailed, have great sound, cruise control, and full command operation. Tough choice, but one I have little problem making. ;)

I bought one when RMT was "closing" a few years ago, paid less than $100 for it shipped. I put a Mini Commander II in it, and someone that was a Conrail nut came along and bought it, so I got my money back with a few bucks extra, and I never looked back.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
It amazes me that they keep finding all these "rare" finds in the warehouse.
They only stopped selling ,what, 2/3 years ago now?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
When I bought a Beep @ 2005 I paid $45.00 for a straight one with no enhancements of any kind.
RMT has a higher shipping charge than Menards I think.
The Beep is the loco I use when I have young kids visiting. They can run it full speed and it stays on the track.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Received this email from OGR. Seems like a decent deal @ ~$30 per boxcar with metal trucks, operating couplers and advertised as "full size". Here's the link to the RMT offer.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Mike, I believe these are identical molds to the Menard's cars, just more expensive. ;)
Right. The only reason you might want to pay the extra $10 is if RMT has a livery you want and Menards does not have it. I've seen (bought) a few for just that reason. (e.g. RBMN, Strasburg). Actually I bought the RMT Strasburg car from Strasburg and paid way too much for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts