Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A life Like Rail Master Set with a f40ph engine. I have to admit this is a first. An acquired train set from a road kill. A coworker was on the way to the transfer station and spotted a box on the side of the road and made his wife stop. Thinking of me he picked it up.

All it needed was a little oil and a tire.

One car missing but all the track was there,transformer too,

It's also the first time Maine Bumpy roads paid off!:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm continually amazed at the things people will throw away.

But I guess that's the society we live in today - everything is "disposable" because most people are either too lazy to try to figure out the problem, or so gullible they believe all the marketing and hype that tells them that whatever they have isn't nearly good enough.

Or they've got so much disposable cash that it's just easier to throw it away and get another one.

Either way, good for you!

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Sweet...:thumbsup:

I remember years ago as a kid exploring the road that led to the campground we were staying at. Just off the road into the woods, someone dumped a load of track in a pile. I managed to work some of it into my layout at the time...pretty cool find to a low budget 12 year old...:)

·
Registered
964 Posts
A life Like Rail Master Set with a f40ph engine. I have to admit this is a first. An acquired train set from a road kill. A coworker was on the way to the transfer station and spotted a box on the side of the road and made his wife stop. Thinking of me he picked it up.

All it needed was a little oil and a tire.

One car missing but all the track was there,transformer too,

It's also the first time Maine Bumpy roads paid off!:D
very lucky!

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I don't think the couplers were installed on the engine. Unless they fell off.

The engine works and being a Life Like has a very simple design. No detail parts to break off.I needed two traction tires and a truck for the caboose. The freight car is missing.

I call the motor a pancake motor, if there is a more correct description let me know. It is a very basic motor and included a picture for a description. If you ever clean one, the springs are notorious for flying out when removed. I prefer a ball and socket drive motor.

I really have no big interest in diesels but if one is threaded, the only thing I want to see is the motor. The same at train shows, I only look at the engines that I have the ball and socket drive.

How can I complain? The price was right. Free.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
That was my second locomotive as a kid. The first was a Life Like GP35 Santa Fe 3500. You defiantly have the kit caboose. I bought the loco / caboose combo pack. The difference was that the caboose in the combo pack had the roof painted silver. Back in the day when Kiddy City and Toys R Us sold trains.

·
Registered
964 Posts
That was my second locomotive as a kid. The first was a Life Like GP35 Santa Fe 3500. You defiantly have the kit caboose. I bought the loco / caboose combo pack. The difference was that the caboose in the combo pack had the roof painted silver. Back in the day when Kiddy City and Toys R Us sold trains.
:mad:ucks that toys R us no longer sells trains :(

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just when you thought this tacky thread was done, I got the last boxcar.:cool: Appparently misplaced in the confusion of many parts and pieces to the untrained eye.

Nice condition too! I wish I could look that good after falling from a truck!:D

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,235 Posts
lmao, whose truck did it fall out of? and how did you find it?
Post #1 here

·
Registered
853 Posts
Post #1 here

If you read the whole thread, he said it was missing a freight car.... Later in the thread he says the freight car was found, it's in good condition for falling out of a truck. I found it amusing that he found the car after it had fallen out of his or his co workers truck if that is what happened. (after the set was already picked up)

Just curious if he happened to ride back by it on the side of the road after he got the set home and he went out again. If that's the case, someones got a good eye to spot a boxcar laying in the road. Unless it was laying in the middle of his driveway no one else comes down or something.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,235 Posts
If you read the whole thread, he said it was missing a freight car.... Later in the thread he says the freight car was found, it's in good condition for falling out of a truck. I found it amusing that he found the car after it had fallen out of his or his co workers truck if that is what happened. (after the set was already picked up)

Just curious if he happened to ride back by it on the side of the road after he got the set home and he went out again. If that's the case, someones got a good eye to spot a boxcar laying in the road. Unless it was laying in the middle of his driveway no one else comes down or something.
OH

I think what he meant was, falling out of the original truck that was on the way to the transfer station.

Edit, By the way I did read the whole thread,
I was wondering if you did.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts