Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll have painted 1/8" luon(?) wood for roads, etc. What do you use for nice, crisp lines both white and yellow?
tnx

·
Premium Member
3,981 Posts
Gray, or very pale yellow works best.
White or bright yellow create too much visual contrast to look natural.
For that same reason, dark gray is a better color than black for asphalt roads or parking lots.

·
Premium Member
3,981 Posts
Some use masking tape and paint them on... some use auto striping tape.
I believe somebody actually makes HO road stripes, (tape) but I forget who.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tamiya

I have found that Tamiya 2mm masking tape works well for me for stripes and road edging. It comes in white but can be painted yellow for center stripes. Also, the tape bends easily for curves.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about paint pens or sharpies?
I know I need a steady hand. Paint pens seem to blot and not reliable.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Painted stripes

I'll have painted 1/8" luon(?) wood for roads, etc. What do you use for nice, crisp lines both white and yellow?
tnx
beepjuice;

I use an artist's brush and white paint. Not too difficult if you can rest your wrist on something while painting. By the way, the spelling you were unsure of is "Lauan" plywood. I use it for sub-roadbed, fascia, roadbed, and even for part of the framing of my unusual benchwork.
Doesn't the grain show through when you use it for roads? I would think Masonite, with it's smooth finish, might look better. But then again, my roads have finely ground dirt glued on them, If it's an asphalt road, the dark color is just painted onto the dirt. So they're not perfectly flat either. Whatever works for you.

Good luck Have fun;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

Allentown covered bridge.jpg

Lightwood box girder parts with compleated girder.jpg

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, T F
The paint hides the grain and it's smooth enough for the stripes. I might try a Sharpie or the automotive striping tape or paint it like you or a paint pen or colored pencils or...........
Trial and error.
Thanks for the spelling correction, too!

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Except that he's wrong about the spelling :eek: The correct spelling is "lauan", aka toona calantas or Philippine mahogany.

Woodland Scenics makes a nice road striping kit, which consist of white and yellow paint pens and a flexible straight edge with markings to help you make evenly-spaced stripes and dashes.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Fixed it

Except that he's wrong about the spelling :eek: The correct spelling is "lauan", aka toona calantas or Philippine mahogany.

CTValley;

Duly noted and corrected. I stuck the extra 'a' into it. I do think it looks odd that way, but a lot of words don't spell the way they sound.

regards;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts