Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 2 of my vehicles ransacked and money stolen from my cars 2 nights ago.It was less than $20 bucks but I feel violated!!!!..Dude was caught on video but the picture was taken from 50' away and grainy....

·
Registered
514 Posts
What !? You mean 2 separate, 1:1 scale automobiles ?? You left them both unlocked ?! Report it to the police. Really, what can we do ? :cry:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had my truck gone through in the last week, unlocked in my driveway ..
Happened sometime between midnight and eight am, probably got some change, don't remember how much was in there, left the tools and other stuff.. I did make a report and had the cops come, more just to let them know they had a burgler in the area, didn't really expect them to find anyone ..

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep my vehicles unlocked in my own driveway. I have less than $10 bucks in change in either one, no tools, wallets, credit cards, pistols, etc.The door locks on my truck are frozen, and if I lock it, I can't get in.I just don't want to deal with broken windows and a mess of glass..We've been having trouble in the middle of town but nothing here in the burbs, actually it's all agriculture around here.. I did call the cops and make a report.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Sorry to hear about this flyernut. You were violated. It feels terrible and I am sure you wish the worst for the thieves. I would. At least they did not get any trains. I lock my cars in the drive but I have thought about leaving them unlocked so they don't damage the cars to get in. If they want in, they will get in, one way or the other. There is 2 things I hate, liars and thieves. Did anyone around you get hit?

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
My house sits 120 feet from the road and I turn all lights off at night. My older son says it is a thief's paradise. But, I have lived here since 1974 and as far as I know nothing missing. Its a rough yard to navigate in the dark. With a few ditches. I have never even had a Trick or Treater. I buy candy but have to eat it myself. There are thieves in the area.
I was down by the road one day and a guy from the subdivision stopped and warned me about leaving anything in the yard. He was mowing his grass and ran out of gas. Left the mower in front yard and drove to get some gas. Came back 15 minutes later and his mower was gone. In the middle of the day. He was not happy.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I lock my cars in the drive but I have thought about leaving them unlocked so they don't damage the cars to get in. If they want in, they will get in, one way or the other.
Lock your car…unless you are going to leave valuables in plain sight. For the most part they are looking for easy prey. They will try every car door to see if its unlocked. If it’s unlocked they will go through the car to see what they can find. If it's locked, they will go to the next house. Or the next car in the parking lot.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
I agree with Lehigh74......thieves are lazy, so they will take the easiest route.....it's a lot of work (and noise) to smash into a car....if you don't leave anything in it in sight that they would want to smash the vehicle to get at, then they will move onto easier pickings....

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear about this flyernut. You were violated. It feels terrible and I am sure you wish the worst for the thieves. I would. At least they did not get any trains. I lock my cars in the drive but I have thought about leaving them unlocked so they don't damage the cars to get in. If they want in, they will get in, one way or the other. There is 2 things I hate, liars and thieves. Did anyone around you get hit?
About half a dozen.. I actually saw the f++++++ thief on my neighbors video but it looks like Casper the friendly ghost, too far away..And the guy was very nonchalant about the whole process.If he trys it again, and I catch him, he's going to have a mouthful of a baseball bat..

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Lock your car…unless you are going to leave valuables in plain sight. For the most part they are looking for easy prey. They will try every car door to see if its unlocked. If it’s unlocked they will go through the car to see what they can find. If it's locked, they will go to the next house. Or the next car in the parking lot.
Locks keep honest people honest. Thieves aren't honest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am sorry this happened. There is one thing that you should always check after you find your car has been broken into and/or the contents of the glove box or console gone through. Make sure that you still have your vehicle registration and your insurance card if you keep these in your vehicle. There is alot of information on these documents that can be used later by the thieves. Also, make sure that you still have the remote for your garage door opener. Some thieves are looking for quick and easy money like currency or change from the glove box or console. Others are a little more sophisticated in the fact that they make it appear as though they were just rummaging through the glove box or console. When the real target was the information I mentioned above or a garage door opener remote that they can use at a later time.
One other thing.... taking the registration along with the garage door opener is something that is often done when a car is broken into while at a mall or other parking lot. Many times the vehicle owner will not notice these two things missing right away if there were no signs of forced entry to the vehicle. However, the thief has an address (from the registration) and the garage door opener. And often times folks will not lock the door leading from the garage to the house.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss to some low life flyernut. I always lock my truck. Well almost always. A few years back I came home from a late night, early morning poker game, tired and sleepy. I forgot to lock my truck. I had around $400 in bills and change in a small bank bag in my console. On top of the bag was my diabetic pills and some Vicodin in an unmarked bottle since I just had my knee replaced and took those for pain. Would you believe the thief took the drugs and left the money? Oh and my favorite Buck Knife was also taken. I was hoping to hear about some idiot taking those diabetic pills. Those pills are to lower sugar in a diabetic. A normal person taking those pills would find their self in a bad way in terms of being able to think clearly and function once their sugar hit below a certain level. The Vicodin? Sold to somebody? They were 500 mg. Still can't figure why the money was left. There was another item under the front seat with the magazine out of it that wasn't taken. I guess he didn't look for anything else after the drug score. All in all, I was lucky not having a way bigger loss.

Kenny

1 - 20 of 58 Posts