Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Items stolen from unlocked cars or trucks are often done by neighborhood teenagers. They are looking for easy drug money, and will take any change or dollars they can find easily. And, if you are foolish to believe that you will not be a victim, then you are a dreamer. We had our cars broken into many years ago, and it turned out to be friends of my sons who happened to live across the street. And, they will take any small item they can easily carry and use.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I agree with Lehigh74......thieves are lazy, so they will take the easiest route.....it's a lot of work (and noise) to smash into a car....if you don't leave anything in it in sight that they would want to smash the vehicle to get at, then they will move onto easier pickings....
I will add to both of these guys, lock your car and your house day and night.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Locks only deter the casual, opportunistic thief. Anyone who wants to get into your car will. Period. I just never leave anything valuable in mine. We drive ours into the ground anyway, so they're not obvious targets.

I'm also 200' back from the road, and don't leave lights on at night. 2.5 acre wooded lot. A potential thief could drive a bulldozer into my driveway without the neighbors noticing.

In 21 years here, the only time we have had a problem was when the neighbor's kid became addicted to crack and was stealing anything that wasn't tied down to feed his habit.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I have three dogs that hear everything. If it is the middle of the night, and a deer walks through the yard, they seem to hear it, even with the windows closed and the central AC running.

Car entries do occur in my area, but I have been lucky so far. Even in the rural area we live in, everything is locked. But we do forget now and then...

Tom

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If you've ever had the occasion to see household security cam video showing what happens on the typical city residential street anywhere from 2000 hrs to about 0600 the next morning, you'll know that several people walk past, hoodie and backpack, sometimes pushing a shopping cart, and they try every car door. It nets most of them drug money, food money, or even, if they score big, all of those AND a hooker. Yes, about the garage remote. And if they steal your tools left at construction sites, they'll be back in two weeks knowing you've resupplied them...not you, them. They sleep during the day when you're out earning bucks to resupply them. Kinda a nice arrangement, too.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
No, that's how you make them moan.

Instead, you tell them that you'll need credit.

John, she comes to the after-party.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
How did this go from having several of my cars vandalized to prostitution?. I understand humor, asking for a friend.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
We all should have good video cameras on the outside of our homes. I think about it but never do it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm also 200' back from the road, and don't leave lights on at night. 2.5 acre wooded lot. A potential thief could drive a bulldozer into my driveway without the neighbors noticing.
This. Except I'm 400' back and in the middle of 9 wooded acres.

We built the house in 2012 so it's darn near sound proof. The UPS man would be on the front porch before we knew he was anywhere around. Which is why I got these... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ISVJL6 One is halfway to the road and one is 50' from the garage/house.

Then we had people coming down the drive all hours of the day and night. We found out that the standing directions to the neighborhood a mile down the road have been, "Turn on our road and take the first right." Our driveway had become the first right. Never mind there was a flippin' mailbox at the end of it. I put up a "Private Drive" sign out by the road and that stopped most of the traffic. Even so, three Wi-Fi security cameras watch the garage & house and trail cameras watch the driveway.

·
Admin
43,710 Posts
I lived on a state road set back about 300' on a heavily wooded lot. We occasionally had someone turn around at the base of the driveway, but in 30 years there, we never had any issues with break-ins. I did have an alarm, but it never went off in anger. Part of the "protection" was there was only one way in, the driveway was flanked by huge trees, and there was a pretty deep drainage ditch along the road that very few vehicles would do through, then they'd be faced with the forest of trees if they managed that. Anyone that drove in could be trapped there by just parking at the foot of the driveway.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
As a bachelor I never locked my doors in semi-rural Millstone NJ. But I had a sweet Shepard-Terrier mix that had her tail amputated as a pup in the adoption pound. Her Doberman Pincer appearance and a side light front entrance deterred all burglaries. Good thing. If they had broken in, she would have shown them the family jewels while begging for a treat - good dogie..

·
Registered
258 Posts
We all should have good video cameras on the outside of our homes. I think about it but never do it.
I do have cameras all around my house outside. There was a theft ring that was going around about 5 months ago mainly stealing out of unlocked cars. Guns, pills just anything of value. I caught 3 of them walking down my driveway at 3:30 am checking all 3 car doors but I never ever leave anything unlocked. I even lock the car when it is in the garage. I am Law Enforcement so I see it and deal with it all.

My cameras footage helped the city police departments detective track down who it was. My neighbors Mercedes was stolen 2 doors up and that Mercedes was spotted in a hotel parking lot about 45 miles from me at the Smokey Mountains near Gatlinburg. Officers approached the hotel room door and the guy started firing a gun through the door at the police. No one got hurt amazingly but the gun he used was another neighbor of mines that didn't have his car locked.

It was a male and female in the motel room. Come to find out it was a large crime ring of 80+ people involved. it did end up being a huge investigation and court trials. My footage along with 3 other neighbors security footage was used in court and I had to take the stand to testify it was my footage taken in my driveway.

Reactions: flyernut

·
Registered
21 Posts
flyernut

go edit post 15

never say that on the internet.....if you are ever charged they will and do deep dive on you and everything you ever said

21 - 40 of 58 Posts