Model Train Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I do have cameras all around my house outside. There was a theft ring that was going around about 5 months ago mainly stealing out of unlocked cars. Guns, pills just anything of value. I caught 3 of them walking down my driveway at 3:30 am checking all 3 car doors but I never ever leave anything unlocked. I even lock the car when it is in the garage. I am Law Enforcement so I see it and deal with it all.

My cameras footage helped the city police departments detective track down who it was. My neighbors Mercedes was stolen 2 doors up and that Mercedes was spotted in a hotel parking lot about 45 miles from me at the Smokey Mountains near Gatlinburg. Officers approached the hotel room door and the guy started firing a gun through the door at the police. No one got hurt amazingly but the gun he used was another neighbor of mines that didn't have his car locked.

It was a male and female in the motel room. Come to find out it was a large crime ring of 80+ people involved. it did end up being a huge investigation and court trials. My footage along with 3 other neighbors security footage was used in court and I had to take the stand to testify it was my footage taken in my driveway.

Did he ever get his firearm back from evidence?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Did he ever get his firearm back from evidence?
Good heavens I hope not (but he probably did).

What manner of fools are leaving unsecured firearms in unlocked vehicles?

We've had one home break in.
Occurred due to a faulty alarm system. Didn't lose anything because neighbors called the police.

A repaired alarm and a dog limited a second attempt to one broken window pane. Since putting in cameras we've had no further problems and have been able to assist neighbors and the police on a few occasions.

A determined maniac could bust a door and kill a dog, but it's all about making a potential thief look elsewhere.

·
Registered
87 Posts
dunno ... would rather leave truck unlocked and lose a handful of tools compered to a side window, probably cheaper too ...
Had two major breakins, one maybe fifteen years ago in town, i left the garage unlocked and they got eighteen thousand worth of tools, insurance covered that one, and the second was out on the farm maybe six years ago, guy reported his truck stolen [turned out he was driving it, later pled guilty] and used my 4wd tractor to try and get out, damaged the clutch and covered the auto steer display in mud, no insurance, but he only paid the deductible, not sure how that works, paid 700 bucks on twenty thousand in damage..

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,501 Posts
I had 2 of my vehicles ransacked and money stolen from my cars 2 nights ago.It was less than $20 bucks but I feel violated!!!!..Dude was caught on video but the picture was taken from 50' away and grainy....
Sorry for your loss......................boobie trap the vehicle ! :D
Set a trip wire so a siren sounds when the door is open?
I guess mounting a sawed off shotgun is out of the question?:rolleyes:
Let a big dog sleep in it?:)
Like an electric fence, set it up so whoever touches the door handle gets a good shock?:p
Like said, these petty thieves go from vehicle to vehicle trying the door. They move on if it is locked.
FIX the lock?
Around here it is the same, they go around trying doors. And you would believe how many leave the vehicle unlocked with their wallets in them. Duh, Laptops and you name it inside and it gets get stolen. Duh, some leave the keys too. Ha ha ha. dopes!
That is what they look for, easy pickings.
My vehicles are locked every time I get out of them, and I don't leave a dime in them.
Knock on wood I never had any attempts on my vehicles.
I have a 4 car driveway, I have motion activated lights on the garage and on the house, 5 on the front 2 on each side, 5 in the back of the house.
Thieves (and the deer) don't like to be lit up.;)

·
Admin
43,694 Posts
My cameras footage helped the city police departments detective track down who it was. My neighbors Mercedes was stolen 2 doors up and that Mercedes was spotted in a hotel parking lot about 45 miles from me at the Smokey Mountains near Gatlinburg. Officers approached the hotel room door and the guy started firing a gun through the door at the police. No one got hurt amazingly but the gun he used was another neighbor of mines that didn't have his car locked.
Your neighbor is the kind of idiot that gives all gun owners a bad name!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know the discussion has been about Automotive break-ins. We have been lucky so far on breaking into a vehicle. However Catalytic Converter thefts have been on the rise lately. Especially at car lots. A portable Sawzall with a sharp metal cutting blade makes the stealing a breeze.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ya got to drive your vehicle sometime. My Daughter had her vehicle's CC stolen while she was at work. Right out of the companies parking lot. Her car sounded like a battle tank with that CC gone.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Just got a call from my neighbor. There's a strange dude in the first row of apples standing directly behind his house and mine. My buddy is armed, I'm not......About to go see what he wants.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Be very careful, you don't want to be in the Arbury situation in Georgia. I suggest call 911 and leave it at that, especially under current conditions. .

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Apparently, just a picker talking on his phone to someone while strolling through the orchard. Never the less, I got my wife's .380 out of the gun safe.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Your neighbor is the kind of idiot that gives all gun owners a bad name!
I agree there. However for what it’s worth I did find out recently that the guns were not taken from cars in my neighborhood. These idiots that were going around breaking in to cars had picked up the guns in other neighborhoods in the city from unlocked cars. My neighbor left his car unlocked so they stole that car and what kills me is the neighbor right across the street where the car got taken told police that she woke to some noise out side. She looked out the window and literally saw with her own eyes these people pushing the car out of the sub division! What did she do!? Call the police? Wake her husband!? Scream at the crooks outside!? No no and no... she went back to bed..... I really wanted to go to her door and say what the &$#”!?

I caught wind of the break ins within 5 miles of my neighborhood so I took my pistol out of my car and truck. However I never leave my automobiles unlocked even for a minute. I even lock my cars up in the garage. I take no chances because the world is full of nut cases.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts