Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave or anyone with link, can you share you beautiful layout video again? It may have been a couple of years and my search turned up nothing. I could use some inspiration :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hi Paul, I really need to get back to making more videos after we re-do the area where the Standard Gauge shelves are being transformed to vertical rock cliffs and other scenic features. In the meantime, here are two videos I created early in 2018 shortly after the layout was installed during mid-December 2017 right before Christmas. The timing could not have been planned any better -- nothing like being a kid at Christmastime again! :D

Enjoy!!!

Video1: Passenger Train Operations (22 minutes)

https://vimeo.com/255845744/33c4490f26

Video2: Double-Heading GG-1's and Heislers (over 14 minutes)

https://vimeo.com/262777663/ccc6f55184

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic layout and videos, Dave.

I love the incorporation of pre-war, post-war and modern train/layout design features. Very well done. I believe yours is a layout that JLC would love and incorporate into his HQ.

I didn't see the MTH 840 Powerhouse - the red, white and green one that you bought from me. I sometimes regret selling it, as it had a kind of Christmas look to it and would look neat in my planned Christmas/North Pole section. If you still have it and want to sell back let me know. I just need the footprint to verify I can fit it in.

Do you still collect Polar RR and Polar Express items? Save the poor QC on the last run of scale PE cars, Lionel has a real winner with these lines of trains.

Thanks for the videos.
Paul

P

·
0 Posts
David has a beautifully crafted layout. After all, he commissioned a master layout builder who does superb work.

Nice to see these videos again.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Nice layout David, and the videos were very well done, nice lighting.

I thought you had a Standard Gauge line incorporated into the layout? I didn’t see it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words everybody! There will most certainly be more videos coming down the road. ;)

I didn't see the MTH 840 Powerhouse - the red, white and green one that you bought from me. I sometimes regret selling it, as it had a kind of Christmas look to it and would look neat in my planned Christmas/North Pole section. If you still have it and want to sell back let me know. I just need the footprint to verify I can fit it in.

Do you still collect Polar RR and Polar Express items? Save the poor QC on the last run of scale PE cars, Lionel has a real winner with these lines of trains.

Paul, I had intentions at one point of a combined O-Gauge and Standard Gauge layout that would be significantly larger than my current layout. The computer-aided layout design programs can sometimes make our dreams MUCH bigger than reality allows!!! :eek: In that larger layout, I had spec'd in BOTH #840 Powerhouses. But when reality hit and I downsized the layout, I only had room for one #840 Powerhouse.

Unfortunately, I sold the white MTH Powerhouse last year. Otherwise, I would most certainly have made it available to you again. My Lionel Christmas roster includes the Polar Express, Polar RR, as well as the North Pole Central (in scale rolling stock). All 3 liveries are cool to run at Christmastime. As for moving forward, my purchases are quite selective in general these days. It's been awhile since Lionel has offered scale NPC pieces. And I have more than enough of Polar Express and Polar RR items. So any new items will be part of an extremely "short list". Possible that I'll purchase the Polar Express StationSounds car in the 2019 Catalog, but that might be it. I'm not pre-ordering much at all... so the jury is still out as to whether a Polar Express BiPolar locomotive will make its way onto my roster. Right now, the way things are looking, I doubt that it will, since practicality is winning out over fantasy -- given the other projects being tackled in 2019.

I thought you had a Standard Gauge line incorporated into the layout? I didn’t see it.
Craig, see my comment above, re: the why's and wherefore's of the Standard Gauge line. I love the charm of Standard Gauge trains, but my own personal nostalgic draw is still O-Gauge. So when it came time to finalize layout plans, there was no room for Standard Gauge aside from some display space -- hence the Standard Gauge shelves at one end of the layout. However, even those display shelves will be taking back seat to vertical rock cliffs and other scenic features that will act as a more realistic background for the long stretch of arch bridges on that end of the layout. Should be a very dramatic view.

With the exception of my Blue Comet Standard Gauge train, ALL other Standard Gauge items in my collection are in search of a new home. Nearly everything is Mint -- only a few items have been displayed.

David

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the kind words everybody! There will most certainly be more videos coming down the road. ;)

Unfortunately, I sold the white MTH Powerhouse last year. Otherwise, I would most certainly have made it available to you again. My Lionel Christmas roster includes the Polar Express, Polar RR, as well as the North Pole Central (in scale rolling stock). All 3 liveries are cool to run at Christmastime. As for moving forward, my purchases are quite selective in general these days. It's been awhile since Lionel has offered scale NPC pieces. And I have more than enough of Polar Express and Polar RR items. So any new items will be part of an extremely "short list". Possible that I'll purchase the Polar Express StationSounds car in the 2019 Catalog, but that might be it. I'm not pre-ordering much at all... so the jury is still out as to whether a Polar Express BiPolar locomotive will make its way onto my roster. Right now, the way things are looking, I doubt that it will, since practicality is winning out over fantasy -- given the other projects being tackled in 2019.

David
Dave: I have to admit the Christmas (mostly scale) items from Lionel have rejuvenated me. I believe many of us are in the hobby today due to electric trains of our youth around the holidays - and Lionel with their various PE, PRR, and NPC items have carried that tradition to a very fun level. The semi-scale items are really neat as well. I still like prototypical roadnames, but by themselves do not sustain my interest in working on the layout.

The Powerhouse probably would've been too large for my North Pole area anyway. It was a neat piece.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Great videos David and what a beautiful layout an amazing blend of tin plate, d56 and conventional structures .:thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts