Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I attended the annual show here in Denver and if people are concerned about covid-19 you'd never know it....the place was packed both days!

Which kinda made me cranky as I've injured my ankle and had to park 20 miles downhill and walk up....but I digress.:rolleyes:

Anyway it's a pretty cool show. The organizers claim it's over 3 acres and I believe it. There's always so much going on, from how-to clinics to the incredible lego displays and of course some pretty amazing layouts. Unfortunately I don't have pics-last year someone damaged a very expensive lens (it gets shoulder to shoulder in some areas) so the camera stayed home.

Besides, I was on a mission. To shop!

I did snap one with the cellie of a really well done N scale layout that didn't turn out great, but it'll give you the general idea.

As usual, the vast majority of stuff was Lionel, and I spent hours fondling things older than me and worth more too! I got so wrapped up in checking things out I forgot to ask what I've been wondering about for awhile now....

Why is it you guys run your stuff so fast? Every time I see an O gauge train it's barreling around like it's throttle is stuck wide open.

Anyway it was a great time and if you're ever in the area it's worth checking out.

I don't know how to add text after a pic so I'll have to break this up into multiple posts. First up is the layout I mentioned. He managed to cram a lot into a small space and most of the operating gadgets had buttons on the fascia for the crowds to push. The burning house was definitely a crowd pleaser.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People on my layout are gonna need something to drink after that ride in on one of those high speed O trains. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And last but not least, finally, something different! You may have seen my post lamenting availability of unique N scale engines, in which I'd say "man I wish they made this" and GRJ would respond "Oh I've got 12 of those" at which point I'd want to jump off a bridge.

Well, it ain't 12, but it's a start!

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll post pics of the aerotrain on the track once I've got time to get it together-it doesn't have couplers like normal trains.

Prices were nuts this year, not really any good deals to be found even late Sunday afternoon. In fact our favorite online retailers generally have better, but then, they don't have any of this stuff in stock so.....

Thanks for taking a look!

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Well heck, darn and fooey!! I arrived in Denver today for a couple days with my daughter and family! Just missed it!! :( :mad: :eek:hwell:

I also have wondered about the speed on many of the larger scale layouts...very unrealistic.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Atlas released these in early '19, and of course I missed out.
Train show to the rescue!

nice one!

And last but not least, finally, something different! You may have seen my post lamenting availability of unique N scale engines, in which I'd say "man I wish they made this" and GRJ would respond "Oh I've got 12 of those" at which point I'd want to jump off a bridge.

nice one too!

here is the spookshow link i think you got a good haul!

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/aerotrain.html

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Lots of ore cars & lots of other cars too! Cheap!

These won't seem like anything special to you, but I haven't been able to find ore cars OR shorty tankers. The wheels were a freebie with purchase!
gimme30;

If you want ore cars, I can help you with that. I can even "gimyou"30 or even 35 for a price of $2 ea. + shipping. Read the file attached below, and if you see anything you want, send me a PM.

You seem to be accident prone dude! You hurt your ankle running to see a train show! Well, at least that part is understandable! :laugh:

Were there any bees involved or did you manage without them this time? :smilie_auslachen:

I'm glad you at least had some fun among the grumps. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:):(:(:(:(:(:(:(

regards;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment N-scale cars for sale.pdf

·
Registered
500 Posts

large box for just a engine and 3 cars....

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
That is Gordon Preller's Rhineland Bayern Bahn. He is a member of my Duetschebahn Modelleisenbahn forum. I knew I had seen his layout somewhere but I didn't put the two together until this morning.

If you had a chance to look at the backside of the layout you would have seen the underground train station he built.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did see the station and it is just as impressive as the rest! I spent a lot of time poking around and pestering the poor guy and while he was standoffish at first he opened up eventually and you could tell he was passionate about his work, and the hobby in general.
His was easily the best layout at the show IMHO, although there was a logging themed setup in Hon30 that was very well detailed.

For whatever reason the majority of layouts consisted of long stretches of track laid around minimal landscaping, which holds very little appeal to me. Sure, the long trains were cool, (since my layout isn't flat, I had no idea 2 sd40's could pull so many cars on level ground!) but they all had kind of a fish-out-of-water effect to my eyes.

large box for just a engine and 3 cars....
Lol yes, you're right there! I didn't include them in the pics but there were also copies of the Popular Mechanics mag that featured the train, and an article by Gary Dolzall titled "Here comes tomorrow." Which of course never came.:eek:

This was not a well-received item when people finally got them in their hands. Constant derailing seemed to be the biggest complaint, and it did not get a glowing review from spookshow, or anyone else for that matter!
I knew about the issues going in but I'm a tinkerer by nature and none of the problems seem insurmountable.

I say that now, but I haven't had time to tear into yet-#hopelesslyoptimistic.:)

The cars couple via magnets imbedded in steel plates, which in turn are mounted in diaphragms that pivot on a vertical pin in the car body. Each car is lighted and part of a single circuit, so they have to be oriented correctly and all but the car at the rear has a bundle of wires hanging out. These wires are apparently one of the main causes of derailment, as well as inadequate weight. Wheels out of gauge are also a common complaint. Biggest flaw I see is that you have to remove the bodies to plug in the harness, which could lead to something, (either the body or the wires) breaking if they're uncoupled/coupled frequently.

So I won't be adding any additional cars once I've got the kinks worked out-moving 4 connected cars from storage to track is feasible, not so much with all 10.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts