Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to determine if a Roco locomotive is 110 vs 220? I pretty sure its DC because there isn't a 3rd rail, but it also isn't receiving power on DC with my 110 transformer.
Thank you ahead for the help.

· Registered
German, Swiss, and Austrian outline. HO/HOm
6,735 Posts
Roco HO locomotives operate on 12-16VDC. They are not AC nor do they depend on what voltage is coming out of the wall to your power pack to operate.

Have you checked to see if a decoder is installed in this locomotive? What is the Roco part number on the end of the box?

· Registered
10,162 Posts
Isn't the wall plug different when it's on
a 240 volt unit? I've only seen such
on TV but I recall it's not the familiar
2 blade (and sometimes plus 3rd prong)
American type plug.

Don

· Registered
10,162 Posts
The plug blades in Old Hobos post are horizontal, where as the Americas
plug has the blades vertical. I would assume, therefore, that this
plug is designed for a 240 volt circuit.

Don

· Registered
2,189 Posts
The motor in the locomotive should be the same regardless of what market it was sold in (US vs Europe). 120V or 240V only impacts the power supply & cord to the wall, not the output to the tracks and other such load side (downstream) items.

It’s probably got loose or broken solder connections on the pick ups or motor wires. Perhaps both. If the headlight comes on, the loco has intact pick up, so check the motor & wiring. If the headlight does not work, first check that the bulb is still good, then pick up connections, and motor/connections.

· Registered
1,460 Posts
Is there any chance the loco you have is equipped for dcc operation ONLY?

That is, it won't run on a straight-DC railroad using a power pack that puts out 12v DC to the rails?

Some dcc-equipped engines will also operate on DC.
But... there's a dcc setting that can turn off this option.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like it has DCC installed, but i don't see a switch on the board to shut off the decoder. I'm wondering if it is dcc only. I took a chance on an ebay purchase for my first European locomotive and it looks honestly brand new but there is no box or instructions. I should have been more careful and knowledgeable. I dont have anything dcc to run it if it is. Is it possible to rewire the loco to keep the board out of the system?

Thank you all again for your input and help. It is honestly appreciated

· Registered
972 Posts
It should be possible to take the decoder out of the system. Either through manual wiring or removal (if attached with a plug) and installation of a jumper board. Worst case scenario you'd need to install a new light control board.

Could you post a picture of the current electronics?

Is there a local club or shop where you could put the loco on a testing track and test the DCC functionality?

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts