Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked before so forgive me but pretty new to this. I have a guy who has some Atlas O scale and MTH O scale 2 rail rolling stock he just wants to give to me. One MTH car is a Denver Rockies theme. Thats the main reason for this question, the wife and I are huge fans of the Rockies. Going to take that one no matter what the answer is to my questions. I'm running Lionel trains on fasttrack which you know is 3 rail, will the 2 rail cars run ok on the 3 rail fasttrack? Will the couplers from Atlas and MTH be compatable with the ones from Lionel? My trains are fairly new and I believe so is his rolling stock. He seems to think the couplers are no problem. Last question if they will run on the fastrack, will it cause any problems or wear to the track i should be watching for? Is there anything else I should be asking here about this? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Bill

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
I got lost at "2-Rail???)

They make O, 2 rail don't you know?:rolleyes:

You S'ers are not the only ones with 2 rail!

Do you have the room to add a 2 rail line? Along side of the three rail?

Over the top loop on trestles of 2 rail? Elevated?

You can't beat the price!:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trucks?

T-man I will change the trucks on the cars. I went ahead and took the rolling stock from him since the price was right. 6 cars total. So I guess the next question would be the best place to get the trucks from? Dont have a local train store where I can just go get some. Where do you guy's buy your parts if you dont have a local train store? Replacement Trucks would be Lionel.

Thanks T-man and all who responded.

Bill

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Two rail O is referred to as High Rail. They are true scale to the rivet.
T-Man, it is the other way around... 3-rail is called "high rail" and 2-rail is called "scale rail"...

T-man I will change the trucks on the cars. I went ahead and took the rolling stock from him since the price was right. 6 cars total. So I guess the next question would be the best place to get the trucks from? Dont have a local train store where I can just go get some. Where do you guy's buy your parts if you dont have a local train store? Replacement Trucks would be Lionel.

Thanks T-man and all who responded.

Bill
I usually source my trucks from eBay, but you can go to online dealers and they should have them... Be prepared to pay $15 and up per set for modern trucks... Also, the mounting design is not universal... For example, MTH trucks only work on MTH rolling stock... If you are on a budget, you may try Weaver trucks, although I cannot guarantee that they will fit properly on a Lionel car...

http://www.trainz.com/c-159-trucks-and-couplers.aspx?pagenum=1

Will the couplers from Atlas and MTH be compatable with the ones from Lionel?
EDIT: I just reread your first post and found that you are actually buying Atlas and MTH cars... Yes, all 3-rail knuckle couplers are compatible, so you can buy 3-rail Atlas trucks for the Atlas cars, and 3-rail MTH Premier trucks for the MTH cars... You need the MTH Premier trucks because unless MTH has changed something, the coupler arms are a little shorter on their Railking trucks...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts