Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a C&O extended vision caboose. It is a K-Line product, a higher end, detailed caboose with metal roof walks that are held in place by Lionel style pins.

Are these pins available? It doesn’t matter if they are light or dark in color. The one end ladder and the adjacent roof platform are missing the two pins.

I was considering making my own with flat head pins...

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Newer Lionel cabooses with “see-through” walkways have them. This is the first time I have seen them on a K-Line caboose...

I will post a picture later, when I get a chance to pop one out of place...

Tom

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Just looked at mine. Never noticed it before, but it is also missing the pins from one of the ladder landing platforms.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Those look similar to flat head knuckle pins used on some later O gauge couplers. I’ve only seen them in black, but they might a bailable in silver, too. You may want to give Jeff Kane at the Train Tender a call to see if he can help.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Straight pins kind of work. I cut the pins about 3/16" from the head. The difference between straight pins and the K-Line part is obvious if you know it's there, but since I didn't even notice they were missing, I'll probably just leave them there.

IMG_4814.JPG

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried some cheap straight pins and they are bit undersized. I may try an Atlas N scale track nail, cut off and ground flat. That is my next step...

Tom

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, my wife bought a cheapie sewing kit at the Dollar Store. The pins are undersized. I have some coming from another source. We will see if they are bigger.

Local sewing stores are like hobby shops...not very common any more. We do have a Harmons. That will be the next place to try...

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts