Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an old Roundhouse 4-4-2 that was forgotten in the attic. It seems to run alright, a bit wobbly on curves, but its extremely noisy. Would a motor swap do any good?

Premium Member
Probably not the motor, although the brushes might be worn.
I'd be more inclined to suspect the gears, which I think are metal castings. I could be wrong though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Probably not the motor, although the brushes might be worn.
I'd be more inclined to suspect the gears, which I think are metal castings. I could be wrong though.
The gears are all plastic, I checked that earlier as I thought the same as you. Obviously the wheels have no proper bearings, so could that be the issue? All that weight coming from the diecast chassis and body grinding against the axles must make some of the noise...

Registered
I have one in the southern pacific livery that I did a can motor swap on and it made a big difference in noise as well as low speed performance. The only issue I have with it is the motor I installed makes the loco run very slow for it being a 鈥減assenger loco鈥 if you鈥檙e not worried about speed go for it but if you are I would get a high rpm motor or change the gear set

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I have one in the southern pacific livery that I did a can motor swap on and it made a big difference in noise as well as low speed performance. The only issue I have with it is the motor I installed makes the loco run very slow for it being a 鈥減assenger loco鈥 if you鈥檙e not worried about speed go for it but if you are I would get a high rpm motor or change the gear set
Thanks馃憤

Registered
No problem! I got mine in a kit on eBay from cv backshops. Tony is an excellent guy and stands behind all of the kits he sells. I would definitely consider him for a source of a motor. It comes with all needed parts and instructions on how to do the swap. Before you do the swap mark the gear plate otherwise you鈥檒l play hell trying to get your gearing adjusted properly again

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, could you give a link?

Registered
He has kits for all kinds of different things too. It may be a good idea to message him first because there could be a different kit or motor for that particular loco. He may have a faster spinning motor that will make it move better too

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again馃槈

1 - 11 of 11 Posts