Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received several AF 3 axle cars in the past. Some have all 3 axles. Some have the center axle (front and rear trucks) removed. I am sure there is a reason for that, but do not know what it is. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Depends on which cars you have. Some like the 644 and 944 were made with only two axles in the trucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trucks

The ones I am referring to have 3 axle trucks with only 2 axles in them. No center axle, but there is a place for one. So you are saying that they made those two cars that way?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Many of the freight cars and tenders with three axle trucks were made without the center axle and wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trucks

Thanks for the info. I have seen only one of those two models that had 3 axles in both trucks. Makes me wonder why they did that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts

I don't think there would be any harm done to add a third axle. Just looks like that center axle is missing. Are there other sources for parts than eBay?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I don't think there would be any harm done to add a third axle. Just looks like that center axle is missing. Are there other sources for parts than eBay?
Yep, Doug peck at PortLines Hobby, and Jeff Kane at the Train Tender. Both are super guys, and I'm betting most guys here use either one.:smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts