Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article starting on page 26 of the March MR about Building the Wingate in O scale. On page 28 there is a picture that shows sanded grout being used to model roads. I did not see any other mention of sanded grout in the article other then the wording under this one photo. Has anyone ever used this for roads on their layout? And if you have, did you put some other material down first (card board or foam core) and cover that with the sanded grout? Or perhaps you just used the sanded grout directly on the sub roadbed. I model HO, perhaps sanded grout would not look as good in HO as opposed to O scale. I looked at the price and sanded grout does not look that expensive at Lowes

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
You don't want to use sanded grout in HO. The particles are to big, and your road would look like it had frost heaved horribly. I'd use drywall mud instead. Casting plaster works too, but I find drywall mud easier to smooth. It's also pretty cheap.

Not sure what you mean about putting some other material under it, though. Certainly, you need a firm base to apply the road material to, and if you need to apply it more than about 1/8" thick, then I would build up the base with foam, cardboard, scrapbook, or similar first, but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate that CT. I was afraid that might be the case since the article was dealing with O scale. I will look into the drywall mud.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Certainly! Just noticed an autocorrect fail in the original response. I fixed it.
You don't want to use sanded grout in HO. The particles are to big, and your road would look like it had frost heaved horribly. I'd use drywall mud instead. Casting plaster works too, but I find drywall mud easier to smooth. It's also pretty cheap.

Not sure what you mean about putting some other material under it, though. Certainly, you need a firm base to apply the road material to, and if you need to apply it more than about 1/8" thick, then I would build up the base with foam, cardboard, scrapwood, or similar first, but it's not necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts