Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions on these locomotives. I really like the 3800 class 2-10-2 and 5011 class 2-10-4 from Santa Fe. My issue is do I go with brass or plastic? Brass is more heavy on the wallet and would need work but plastic models tend to wear out faster. I know bli made the 3800 not sure on 5011. Brass seems to be more common place than plastic on eBay for these models too. I really like the fact that bli locos seem like they could pull a train better than any of my other locos as far as steam goes does anyone have any input on these engines? Want other opinions before I dive into brass I guess because that will make the wallet want to cry

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The only hope for a 5011 would be Division Point, or maybe it's Precision Scale...can't remember. One of those two has plans, or had plans about three years ago. They are slow to get an issue on their plate and to start producing.

If I have my facts straight, the Bachmann version of a SF 2-10-4 was the 'Madame Queen' prototype where the Santa Fe added a double-axled trailing truck to a 2-10-2 as an experiment. The other 2-10-4's were original designs.

BLI's "Santa Fe" is a nice locomotive. I have one, and it looks good and runs well on my layout. BLI also released a Hybrid Brass UP TTT-6 back about 2009 or thereabouts. I think it might have been their first brass hybrid. Beautiful.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know bli did a 3800 that was a 2-10-4 and it’s the prototypical road number but the madam queen was the 5000 class 2-10-4. I actually just read a book on the Santa Fe big three. I think the 3800 class 2-10-4 was 3829 but not positive. Saw one on eBay a few weeks ago

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more I think about it didn’t bli make a blue line Santa Fe 2-10-4. I could swear they did make one that was dc with sound. I just want one that pulls better than my bachmann example of it and brass doesn’t always pull super hard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts