Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Santa Fe GP-20 dummy unit #8355 (blue) at a junk store for $10.00. I've seen them around the web and they are supposed to have an electronic horn. I opened her up and found no horn in side. I checked all my books and the web but could not find any parts breakdown for the unit. Does anyone know of a parts breakdown somewhere so I could install the horn into the unit? I have a Santa Fe GP-20 powered unit that it matches the dummy and I would like to restore the unit so the set will be complete. Need help!

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
If you go to the lionel page , if I remember its not easy to find, lionel supplements 1-9 . Its a long document and it may be under a generic heading.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the complete set (1-47) and there is no diagram that I could find for the unit. They list horn boards and brackets but I don't know which one will fit my frame. I'll keep checking, there must be something somewhere. Anyone have one of these units? Maybe a few pics of what it looks like inside may help.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The service manual page for the 8355 dummy unit is here. It does not have any electronic horn installed, nor does the frame seem to have any provisions for mounting a circuit board and speaker.

It seems that the dummy was made with and without an electronic horn. If your unit has roller pickups on one truck, then it was the version with the horn, and possibly the electronics are missing. If it does not have the roller pickups, then it was the version without the horn.

Larry

Attachments

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
Thats the thing with the supplements, its under a general model. I had the same problem looking stuff up. Bad news, no horn. Good news someone here will tell you how to install one or something better! Sound board?! Thanks Larry, as I can only find so much. Start a new thread with adding a horn to the unit. Someone knows how.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the unit I have. The underframe has no grill but I do have the truck with pick up rollers on it but inside the unit there is a baffle (part number 8251-28) with a cut out to mount a speaker. The speaker cut out is located in the cab which is why I felt it must have been an electronic unit. Could it have been a earlier version of this model with a horn? I'm sratching my head on this one.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It sounds like the unit was gutted and then sold.

Greenberg's Guide To Lionel Trains 1970-1991, volume 1 lists 2 variations of the 8355; one with, and one without a horn. The speaker was mounted to face upward in the cab area, and the sound was purported to be very realistic.

All of the GP-20 units that had horns in them all reference back to the same service manual pages for the non-horn version. It seems a call to Lionel Service may be the only way to track down and order the parts necessary to repair your unit back to its' original condition.

Larry

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found bits and pieces of info in Greenberg's modern era parts and diagrams book. Pages 48/49 show a horn set up for a powered GP-20 with part numbers and pages 113/114 of a U-36 dummy that have parts similar to what is in my GP-20 dummy. I'm going to order what parts are available and try to hook the unit up. I will post results when parts are installed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to bring back my Santa Fe GP-20 dummy #8355 with electronic horn to original state. A lot of searching for info and parts but I was able to find the parts I needed and installed them so now I have my horn installed and I'm very p[leased with the results. I want to thank all who helped with this project as it gave valuable info on the project. All I need now is the Styrofoam insert for the engine ( I have the box ) but that piece will come in time I guess. This is a great forum and the members input is very helpful. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts