Model Train Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I haven’t posted in quite a while on this thread about anything with the layout due to not doing anything to really comment on. All I’ve really done is a little scenery a little painting and running some trains. I did a bunch of work to my rolling stock recently so that’s kept me pretty busy. Doing a few things here and there to locomotives and I’ve installed railings around the layout to make sure that nobody sets a pop on my layout. I’m deciding on if I want to go with tortoise switch machines to operate my turnouts or if I want to stay with them being operated by hand. I would hook them up to switches not dcc but that will be the next project on the railroad if I decide to go with them

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I haven’t posted in quite a while on this thread about anything with the layout due to not doing anything to really comment on. All I’ve really done is a little scenery a little painting and running some trains. I did a bunch of work to my rolling stock recently so that’s kept me pretty busy. Doing a few things here and there to locomotives and I’ve installed railings around the layout to make sure that nobody sets a pop on my layout. I’m deciding on if I want to go with tortoise switch machines to operate my turnouts or if I want to stay with them being operated by hand. I would hook them up to switches not dcc but that will be the next project on the railroad if I decide to go with them
Jscullans;

On your "Should I use Tortoise motors, or manual control, for my turnouts" decision, the attached file "All about turnouts", has some information near the end, about various "Switch Machines" to move the points of a turnout. Maybe that will help you decide.
If you have a lot of turnouts, and the cost of multiple Tortoise motors is a concern, the other two files describe a $5 "Tortoise substitute" which you can make quickly, easily, and cheaply. It mounts like a Tortoise, moves, and holds, the points like a tortoise, and even has an optional microswitch like a Tortoise. What it doesn't have is a motor. It's operated by a super simple, super reliable, push/pull rod linkage.

Just some things for you to consider;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ll look into that after supper. I have about 30 turnouts on my layout so that would save a ton of money

21 - 23 of 23 Posts