Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I recently started this wonderful hobby in mid 2020. my first purchase was the

Lionel #6-84719 Santa Fe Super Chief Lionchief Set w/Bluetooth

I have added 3 additional cars to the set, passengers and installed lighting in the (separately sold) baggage car along with Woodland Scenic o scale personnel moving crates and luggage inside that car, and a rear light to the observation car. I have searched and finally obtained a non-powered Lionel 6-28905 FT A Unit locomotive. The Lionel Starter Set is DC powered by a wall wart. I know that I can also run this set conventional using the Bluetooth remote include in the set.

My question: The FT A non-powered unit states it is designed for 10-16 volt alternating current transformer. To couple it to the powered A Unit and use the DC wall wart would damage it (headlight socket and bracket) assuming the DC is a constant 18V? Correct?

Would the same apply using conventional AC MTH Z-1000 transformer? I assume not since it is AC. I just would be mindful to find a 18v bulb (Lionel #612-3011-311). This was cautioned in the operators’ manual regarding the bulb. I just don't want to make costly mistakes and fry something.

As I wait for the return/repair/replace of my (brand new/never got to use it) DCS I'm finding things to occupy my wait.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
As I recently started this wonderful hobby in mid 2020. my first purchase was the

Lionel #6-84719 Santa Fe Super Chief Lionchief Set w/Bluetooth

I have added 3 additional cars to the set, passengers and installed lighting in the (separately sold) baggage car along with Woodland Scenic o scale personnel moving crates and luggage inside that car, and a rear light to the observation car. I have searched and finally obtained a non-powered Lionel 6-28905 FT A Unit locomotive. The Lionel Starter Set is DC powered by a wall wart. I know that I can also run this set conventional using the Bluetooth remote include in the set.

My question: The FT A non-powered unit states it is designed for 10-16 volt alternating current transformer. To couple it to the powered A Unit and use the DC wall wart would damage it (headlight socket and bracket) assuming the DC is a constant 18V? Correct?

Would the same apply using conventional AC MTH Z-1000 transformer? I assume not since it is AC. I just would be mindful to find a 18v bulb (Lionel #612-3011-311). This was cautioned in the operators’ manual regarding the bulb. I just don't want to make costly mistakes and fry something.

As I wait for the return/repair/replace of my (brand new/never got to use it) DCS I'm finding things to occupy my wait.
If it is designed for 16 V AC, you won't damage it with 18 V DC. But the dummy's light may be driven hard - very bright.

The technical explanation ...

Most all AC voltage ratings, including conventional train transformers, rate their AC voltage as the "rms" voltage - one common measure of the average AC voltage. In actuality, 16 V AC peaks at ~22.7 V. So if your dummy unit can handle the 16 V AC peaks, it can handle the steady state 18 V DC.

But it's headlight will likely shine very bright. The conventional dummy's light was likely spec.'d for 10 to 12 V AC track voltage as the typical conventional running voltage. Running at 16 V AC can runs trains off the track. So the constant 18 V DC may be over driving that bulb. That may be easily fixed by replacing the bulb with one of a higher voltage rating, adding a series resistor, etc...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hmm. Scientifically Saying a 12v rated Bulb ran @ 18v for .3-.5 seconds = "POOF"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts