Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firemaster One
Registered

Joined 1 d ago
1 Posts
#15 24 h ago
I am 65 years of age and new to the hobby and just getting started. I remember having a Lionel Steam locomotive O Scale set back in the 60's. I recently somehow found myself reminiscing on the train rides our family took each summer riding the midnight special from Union Station in Chicago and connecting in St Louis to travel to our destination in Blytheville Arkansas. The routes used GMO F3’s and Missouri Pacific equipment. As a kid, those were beautiful beasts. The next thing I know I was on the internet researching the schedules from that time and tracing the routes and F3's that got us there. Long story which could never be short. I find myself purchasing an O Scale Santa Fe set which I haven't received yet. After many days of research, I see the most popular is HO Scale. However, I'm excited about running that set and expanding it gradually. I've ordered 2 additional cars and track but I realize I'm going to need more power to even run what I've purchased with the extra 2 cars. Please educate me. The set I've purchased is the Santa Fe F3 FT with minimal power and remote blue tooth. If I purchase another identical engine can I run it on the same track to increase pulling power without purchasing a CW-80.. I been looking for a Santa Fe ABA combo, but (new) is a little expensive or unavailable, and EBay scares me to death in this arena. I’m saving for the next release or re-release of the MTH Santa Fe chrome. They are special. Please advise.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
It’s always good to specify the product number you are asking about. From your description, I would guess you have purchased 6-84719 (Santa Fe FT Super Chief set).

If you are able to find an identical engine, it should work with the same remote, but you may need to reverse wires in one engine so they will work back to back. I wouldn’t count on the supplied wall wart being able to provide enough power for two engines especially if the passenger cars have incandescent lighting. But you don’t need to get a CW-80. There are many options for power. I would try it first. I would think the one loco will pull the three car set plus the two add on cars.

If you are looking for a new MTH Santa Fe streamliner with plated finish, now is the time. The 2020V2 catalog has Railking Alco PA Gold Bonnets and Premier EMD F3 War Bonnets. After that there will be no more since MTH is closing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s always good to specify the product number you are asking about. From your description, I would guess you have purchased 6-84719 (Santa Fe FT Super Chief set).

If you are able to find an identical engine, it should work with the same remote, but you may need to reverse wires in one engine so they will work back to back. I wouldn’t count on the supplied wall wart being able to provide enough power for two engines especially if the passenger cars have incandescent lighting. But you don’t need to get a CW-80. There are many options for power. I would try it first. I would think the one loco will pull the three car set plus the two add on cars.

If you are looking for a new MTH Santa Fe streamliner with plated finish, now is the time. The 2020V2 catalog has Railking Alco PA Gold Bonnets and Premier EMD F3 War Bonnets. After that there will be no more since MTH is closing.
Thank you for the advise. I’m going to go to the Website Catalog and see about ordering a set. Also what transformers should I look at for the Alco ABA F3’s? Are they compatible for Lionel 3 rail fastrack? That’s what the starter set uses. Also will the couplers on the Alco match up with the Lionel thumb tack couplers?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Are you getting Railking Alco PA1s or Premier EMD F3s? Either way they both will work on O31 track, so it should be fine on your Fastrack. The couplers will match. If you are going to order, instead of ordering direct from MTH, I would use a local shop or an on line dealer such as Nicholas Smith or Just Trains of Delaware since you will save quite a bit. You should also know that if you want to use all the features of the PA1 or F3, you will need a DCS setup. The full DCS system is hard to come by these days, but the smaller systems may be available.

Your choice of power should be governed by your future plans. MTH trains don’t play well with the CW-80. Large modern transformers from MTH and Lionel are expensive. Power bricks are an option if you don’t plan on conventional operation. Post War Lionel transformers can be had at reasonable prices in various sizes, but you will need circuit protection (fuse, breaker, TVS diode) for the electronics in modern locomotives and control systems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you getting Railking Alco PA1s or Premier EMD F3s? Either way they both will work on O31 track, so it should be fine on your Fastrack. The couplers will match. If you are going to order, instead of ordering direct from MTH, I would use a local shop or an on line dealer such as Nicholas Smith or Just Trains of Delaware since you will save quite a bit. You should also know that if you want to use all the features of the PA1 or F3, you will need a DCS setup. The full DCS system is hard to come by these days, but the smaller systems may be available.

Your choice of power should be governed by your future plans. MTH trains don’t play well with the CW-80. Large modern transformers from MTH and Lionel are expensive. Power bricks are an option if you don’t plan on conventional operation. Post War Lionel transformers can be had at reasonable prices in various sizes, but you will need circuit protection (fuse, breaker, TVS diode) for the electronics in modern locomotives and control systems.
Thank you for the response. There is a Just Trains 40 miles from me accepting reservations for in store shopping due to COVID-19. I’m going to do some homework regarding power sources and also on the SF F3’s. A discount puts me on the playing field. Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have so many questions. Thanks for steering me clear of the Lionel CW-80. Would a MTH 40-1000Z-1000 Transformer connected to my Lionel Fastrack allow me to extend track and run a MTH AB diesel and the Santa Fe 6-84719 starter set, (not simultaneously). Once you connect a transformer, I know the Lionel SF starter set will only work by using the Lionchief remote. I also know that by connecting the transformer to the track you cannot use the Fastrack wall wart at the same time. My layout will be a slow growing project, but I want to be ready when I purchase the Premier EMD F3's. Tell me if I'm on the right 'TRACK'. I'm sure that's been used on this forum, and it's probably an unspoken thing that you just don't say it. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I think a Z1000 could actually power two modern trains assuming they could be controlled with a remote. Modern engines normally only draw about 2 amps or less and Z 1000 should supply around 5 amps. Its too bad manufacturers had abandoned the middle ground. It seems you are left with starter set transformers or one that will power the world. In the post war era there were many more choices and they are still around but you would want to add circuit protection and spike protection if you wanted to use them with something with modern electronics.

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts