1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rivet Counter, 5188 Gundersons
Extravagant detail.
(and an awesome paint scheme).

My first ScaleTrains purchase. Top drawer detail.
These are for "2K Nites", which are getting quite popular, so I'm stocking up on contemporary stuff.

Normally I wouldn't consider them. But I bought these from our resident 'Train Pimp' at a good discount (wrinkled boxes). I got them for a little less than 'Operator' MSRP. Otherwise forget it.

"Honey, I shrunk the hoppers!"
Everything's there (like shrunken prototypes)... and I mean everything. Detail is insane. Separately applied minutiae, even the shaker brackets. Paint & lettering are as good as it gets. And FWIW... rotating bearing caps.
Metal couplers work well so far, but the jury's still out.

BTW, these are long cars, (58-footers) and truck-swivel is limited. ScaleTrains says they'll operate on 18" radius curves, but they recommended 22".

One criticism:
They're each about a half-ounce underweight, (according to NMRA standards) and I prefer overweight cars to light ones.
A half ounce might not sound like much, but it's more than a tenth of the car's weight, and I won't run cars with that much of a minus ratio.
Easy enough to fix... I'll glue snips of solder in the underbody center channel. But with all this detail, and an MSRP of $40, I shouldn't have to.

I've also found a few Athearn 3-bay "Trinity's"(?), which are very nice, and remarkably similar to these ScaleTrains' Gundersons. They're even in the same number series. Not sure what's up.

20190302_185333~2.jpg

20190302_190334~2.jpg

20190302_184616~2.jpg

20190302_184235~2.jpg

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
That looks every bit as nice as anything from Europe from the big names.

Details look outstanding. Can you get any closer shots?

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks every bit as nice as anything from Europe from the big names.

Details look outstanding. Can you get any closer shots?
I tried believe me, but my cellphone won't focus-in any closer.
Too bad, because all the warnings and data are crisp under magnification.
Corner steps and handrails are actually to scale.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[Update]:
Roll quality was just 'so-so' until I added weight. Makes sense to me... a light car in motion lacks inertia.
They roll better now.

BTW, ScaleTrains' recommended 22" radius is right on the verge.
Truck-swivel is very limited (draftgear box interference). IMO, 24" might be minimum for a unit train or a string.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW, ScaleTrains' MSRP's are on average about $5 less than Tangent and Kadee.
However, IMO, Tangent & Kadee cars are supremely superb A++ rollers, and are weighted better. Plus, they're detailed at about the same level, and come with Kadee couplers.
It boils down to car types and era. Kadee only offers 2-bay hoppers. Tangent doesn't have Gundersons or Trinitys.

Unfortunately, I missed out on the RailBox issues from ScaleTrains and ExactRail. Now, (except for a few Walthers) they're almost extinct. Not many car numbers for a fleet, or even a string.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts