Model Train Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After keeping an eye out for some time I finally saw a scaletrains model with dcc and sound in the affordable try it range to me at the lhs today.

So after poking around the internet briefly to verify it was reasonably priced I now have one.

But what I gather is this version from scaletrains has a semi-hated esu loksound "essentials" sound decoder in it.

It's hated because the sounds cannot be reprogrammed using the loksound programmer. Something of interest to folks that buy loksound inside models.

But for now, this ok with me.

So this is a relatively cheap way to try out scaletrains ... Not run yet though. But looks good enuff.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So now I know what operator means for this model at least.. because it has no grabs, no hoses, nothing you'd have to stick on with tweezers.

From 6" it looks a bit weird. The holes are there but they didn't pay the wages to have all the little items stuck on.

But from 2 ft or more in the track I can't see it. So there's that.

Now the center fan unit lifts off. I'm not sure this is intended but it seemed to move a tiny fraction when I was lifting it ... So I gave it firm but not hard tug and it popped off.

Underneath is the sound decoder. So I could just swap out there if I felt inclined to the v5 esu. The fan unit went back ok but in such a way that I thought this is best left alone until needed.

Now the sound is good if not a little high pitched.

I've just been running in dc mode and its automated sound sequencing is nice. And because the loop which is my "Kato test track" has at one end both a rise and a dip... The sound changes with that and it's pleasing enough.

I do notice a slight transformer like noise at the engine. An electrical hum... That's it. But once it gets going this is not noticable either.

Well I guess if I was to really do a proper comparison I'd have to get a rivet counter version sometime.

What I gather then with that is you get the little details and v4/5 esu loksound decoder. I'm not sure what else separates them...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts