Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fees

While many folks seem to want a buyer to use Friends-Family for payment, there is no way PayPal will help as there is nothing in it for them and I don't blame them as they are a business and should be able to get paid for their services. I have passed on a few items because of a seller wanted to save a few bucks with F-F. I personally know of two fellows that ate their payment that way. They tried to get P-P to help, nada. Your version might be different but I doubt it. Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
While many folks seem to want a buyer to use Friends-Family for payment, there is no way PayPal will help as there is nothing in it for them and I don't blame them as they are a business and should be able to get paid for their services. I have passed on a few items because of a seller wanted to save a few bucks with F-F. I personally know of two fellows that ate their payment that way. They tried to get P-P to help, nada. Your version might be different but I doubt it. Cheers
Understood.

I was asking about experiences with trying to get assistance from PayPal when a standard payment was issued.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
A while back I got a email claiming some distant relatives were killed in car crash and if I sent them my information I would get money. A month later I got a email claiming they were killed in a plane crash.

A friend of mine told me he got a call claiming there was a problem with his computer. Well he's computer tech so he told them he has three what's the IP address. They hung up on him.

·
Admin
43,214 Posts
I got a letter that said I could have six million dollars from Nigeria if I would just let them use my bank account to transfer the funds. So, when the deal goes through, I'm going to have one knockout layout building! :p:p

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Stupid kills, but not enough to really help. ;)
Stupid doesn't kill like it use to. I blame doctors. There was a time when stupid people did stupid things they got killed. Now they go to the ER and the doctors put them back together and they go out and do more stupid things. Them they married stupid people and have stupid kids and the legacy continues.:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I got a letter that said I could have six million dollars from Nigeria if I would just let them use my bank account to transfer the funds. So, when the deal goes through, I'm going to have one knockout layout building! :p:p
Sweet! I won the British Lottery for the tune of £1,000,000! I just need to send the lottery agent $1000 to cover transfer fees!

My layout is gonna be huge!:rolleyes:

The funny thing is I never bought a British lottery ticket....

Tom

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Sometimes when I get calls and I know it's a scam I like to screw with them so I answer the phone with a really bad Polish accent and can speak very little English. Then I act like I'm yelling at someone in Polish. Plus I talk very loud when I do this.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Scammer Ira Goldberg

Sells items as new and only accepts money orders or checks no PayPal so you can ask for refund. But won’t refund money or take product back and says repair it or claim insurance from post office. Got a loco front railing missing truck was off when I got it and no drive shaft or worm gear or blocks and said was intact when shipped. Take it up with the post office and other loco was dcc but lite up but no movement but says both worked when they were shipped. Another forum banned him so BEWARE OF IRA GOLDBERG. BAD BUSINESS.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I do not understand why people do that to us. We didn't do anything wrong to them. What drives them to do that kind of bad business? Who know? Let's move on and deal with better people. However, Pierre Omidyar, creator of eBay, said there are good people that we can trust to do such kind of business. We can do the same.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Amen just own up and make it right. It’s not hard. I figured I’d let this forum know as he probably will searching elsewhere to sell his stuff.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Same type of people that scam elderly people out of their life savings or steal Social Security checks from mail boxes. They should all be flogged.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Thought I would share a new scam involving PayPal's name.
I was checking the emails and saw one: "Attention: your PayPal account has been limited. Click here to see why".

mmmm........ALMOST did. Looks legit, PP logo, exact font they use. Real good planning.
Except I took my mouse and hovered it about the link.
It read ( I lost the real address, but this is close) that it went to a sales site.
NOT payPal! Nothing to do with PP at all.
Delete. Click. Gone.

I did ask PP about it, but they sadly never got back to me. They kinda dropped the ball in customer service there. But then I got it back again. I didn't send it to PP, because if they didn't answer once, they probably wouldn't answer again.

But I am waiting for the next time, if there is one. Then I will give to to PayPal.
For sure.

Edit: I found the link:
[email protected]
I Googled it, and all that comes up is "How to report a suspicious email to payPal"

EDIT: Yes they should Danny, with a cat o nine tails that has barbed wire instead of leather.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
For a while, I was getting 2 or 3 PayPal scam emails a week. There was always something fishy about them like bad grammar or a slightly wrong address. PayPal has an email where you can forward the scams. I did that for a while and each one was acknowledged. But after a while, it got to be a pain so I just deleted them.

Now that they have your email address, you can expect many more scam PayPal emails.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honesty and Trust

An old thread but certainly worth reading and reviving. It has been a long time since I have attempted to sell anything on the internet. I have been purchasing things for years, usually with a credit card sometimes with a personal check and at one time through a Pay Pal account. I never sold anything using Pay Pal, just as a purchaser. I probably was suffering some paranoia when I dropped them. Am I too naïve believe in the honesty of my fellow man? My honesty was recently called into question by someone who may have been cheated at some point in a transaction. I told them I did not accept Pay Pal but would accept a good personal check, bank cheque or Postal Money Order. Their response was how were they to believe that I was not just going to cash their check and not send them the promised goods. In my antiquated way of thinking they would get their purchase because I said they would, because I am an honest individual. It is always how I did business and that is how I would like to do business. Is honesty and trust in people a thing of the past? I hope not.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
An old thread but certainly worth reading and reviving. It has been a long time since I have attempted to sell anything on the internet. I have been purchasing things for years, usually with a credit card sometimes with a personal check and at one time through a Pay Pal account. I never sold anything using Pay Pal, just as a purchaser. I probably was suffering some paranoia when I dropped them. Am I too naïve believe in the honesty of my fellow man? My honesty was recently called into question by someone who may have been cheated at some point in a transaction. I told them I did not accept Pay Pal but would accept a good personal check, bank cheque or Postal Money Order. Their response was how were they to believe that I was not just going to cash their check and not send them the promised goods. In my antiquated way of thinking they would get their purchase because I said they would, because I am an honest individual. It is always how I did business and that is how I would like to do business. Is honesty and trust in people a thing of the past? I hope not.

I think it is, at least using PayPal or a credit card you have some protection from the damn criminals.

I only sent a money order out to one once, for a train item. He was like you and didn't use them, the first thing I thought was am I going to get the item. Luckily I got it.

Look around today, every corner you turn someone is trying to con folks out of their money.
And millions are lost to scammers every year.

·
Admin
43,214 Posts
I will only send a check or MO to someone I actually know. If a stranger wants to sell me something and doesn't take PayPal, I can live without it.
Is honesty and trust in people a thing of the past? I hope not.
If you feel that way, why not send him the item and then wait for payment? ;)

To answer your question, it may not be totally a thing of the past, but it's certainly been battered and bruised in recent years. One only has to look at the myriad hoaxes, hacks, and scams perpetrated by millions around the world to realize we live in a different climate than years gone by. The impersonal nature of the Internet has allowed a new breed of souls with minimal to no morals to flourish and operate freely. I suggest you simply get used to the new normal, it's not likely to change any time soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess until I decide to take Pay Pal I am at a disadvantage regarding anything I wish to part with. I am OK with that.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
I guess until I decide to take Pay Pal I am at a disadvantage regarding anything I wish to part with. I am OK with that.
Well if you do want to sell something here can't you request the gift thing? No Fees?
Like I said in the PM I never used PayPal for selling, just buying.
So I don't know what the fees are, I have had sellers tell me some of them.
Heck, now they get part of the shipping cost too?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts