Model Train Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,021 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,021 Posts
Last week I won 2 Lionel 611's Jersey central locomotives and we were discussing the fees the sellers pay.
He told me they run PayPal.

The 2 611's are like in new shape.
Like I really needed 2, but I could not pass up the deal. :):thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
When I buy something, I lump all the fees and shipping into the cost of product ....
When I sell something, it's more like I hope it goes to someone that can use it, I don't really care much what it sells for ...
As far as buying, it's mostly from China now, I don't know how they can ship for virtually nothing, it's often [unfortunately] a no brainer, lol

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
China is considered a "developing country", and they get a sweetheart deal called ePacket. It's pretty much free for China to ship small packages to us, not so the other way.
It's their government subsidizing international trade - at our expense. There's the "Universal Postal Union", a long standing international treaty that sets rates between countries. And guess what? China's GDP / person is very low. So they pay much less to destination countries (e.g., the US) to take and deliver mail to the recipient while the USPS delivers the goods at US wage rates.. We pick up the tab delivering those packages on our side with a reduced monetary contribution from China. That's about to change. China will need to pay the US more to subsidize their trade via low postage rates.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I no longer have a PP account, yeah I got duped and they said there was nothing they could / would do about it because I DID receive a "product". I was on FB (that is another band of questionable people/owner/administrators) and saw an ad for a VW bus cooler, I thought "cool" and ordered one. What I got WAS a VW bus but certainly not a cooler. PP told me to get in contact with the seller and then they washed their hands of it saying the case had been resolved. I closed my PP and figured if I ever had a problem again I could better count on the CC companies to back me up

And yeah, turns out, from what I read on the PP complaint site, a Chinese outfit that shipped (all sorts of cheap junk not even resembling what was advertised for sale) from warehouses in the US but to get a refund you had to return the item to an address in China

What was advertised and what I ordered

What I received, added to my car collection right next to my Munster Coach

·
Admin
44,347 Posts
I don't use PP for overseas purchases, I use the credit card. I typically use my Costco card as I spend a lot of money on that card, and they are very responsive when I have a problem. When I call, I have never failed to get an immediate refund. What they do after that is not my concern.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
How much did you pay for the "cooler" Chewy/ It looked cool so I googled it. Looks like they are going to $450 and up, so I won't be getting one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How much did you pay for the "cooler" Chewy/ It looked cool so I googled it. Looks like they are going to $450 and up, so I won't be getting one.
That's the thing, it was advertised for a mere 45 bucks, it wasn't until later that my g/f googled it and found that Amazon had sold out for $300 or so. Oh well, live and learn, that was a first as far as being taken in a scam and didn't know it was a China scammer

41 - 53 of 53 Posts